Using D-Link as a repeater (extender) for TP-Link

honeyxp

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Hi,
Can I use D-Link 2740U as a repeater for TP-Link W8151 (Main Router)?
Please someone help me. I've got a headache and the D-Link is not functioning as a repeater yet!

honeyxp

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Thanks, even if I have two one pair of each for example the D-link one, they can't be used as main and repeater devices? I want to know, the problem is that they are from two different manufactures or they are basically not designed for this purpose regardless of the brands being different?

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
They're not designed for that purpose. Just buy a repeater or you could use a couple of homeplugs to connect your current routers and turn off DHCP on the D-link so that it acts as a wireless access point. So you'd end up with 2 wireless networks.

honeyxp

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

The problem is that I don't want to buy extra units. I just have these two routers and just wanted to know whether I can connect one of them as the main router to the DSL cable and use the other one in a wireless manner (connected to the main one while being for example in a different room) to extend the coverage of Wi-Fi (not connecting the two using a LAN cable). So it seems this is not possible. Anyway thanks a lot for your reply.