[SOLVED] Using direction connection to NVR versus using an LAN

MinimumWageChamp

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
I have a security camera system I have to help install for a business. There are two ways to install this systems cameras. They’re connected via Ethernet cables one of two ways. First is camera to NVR then NVR to router. Second is camera to PoE switch, switch to router and router to NVR. Can someone please explain in laymen’s terms what the differences are in the two ways of connecting these, please? I can provide a picture of these connections if need be. Thanks guys.

Solution
In the first method only the NVR is exposed to the internet if you want to view the cameras you must connect to the NVR.
In the second you can still connect to the nvr but you can also directly access the cameras. It all depends if the cameras are designed to be directly accessed.

Mostly this is a person preference thing.

Since cameras are known for having poor security I tend to favor the first method. It also should keep any camera traffic off the main network. That tends to not be as much a problem as years past because switches and routers are so fast compared to even very hidef cameras.
In the first method only the NVR is exposed to the internet if you want to view the cameras you must connect to the NVR.
In the second you can still connect to the nvr but you can also directly access the cameras. It all depends if the cameras are designed to be directly accessed.

Mostly this is a person preference thing.

Since cameras are known for having poor security I tend to favor the first method. It also should keep any camera traffic off the main network. That tends to not be as much a problem as years past because switches and routers are so fast compared to even very hidef cameras.

Solution

MinimumWageChamp

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Thank you very much. I had an idea of what it meant but just couldn’t make sense in my head why the second option could/would be a better option. I was going with the first type of connection because it’s the only way I’ve done it in the past but I’m not an expert and you guys are. Lol Again thank you for taking your time to help me. Have a good day.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you very much. I had an idea of what it meant but just couldn’t make sense in my head why the second option could/would be a better option. I was going with the first type of connection because it’s the only way I’ve done it in the past but I’m not an expert and you guys are. Lol Again thank you for taking your time to help me. Have a good day.
The second option might be better if you already have a POE switch and cabled infrastructure that goes to it. You might want to have the NVR in a different physical location than where the switch is.