[SOLVED] Using Displayport locks my monitor to 640x480

Apr 14, 2020
Up until now I've used DVI-D but I recently got a new GPU that doesn't support DVI-D unfortunately

Here's what I've tried:
  • Using DDU to uninstall my display drivers then reinstalling them
  • Tested two GPUs (to the same end)
  • Updated Windows
  • Updated my mobo bios
  • Reset my monitor
  • Scoured the internet for answers
Nothing has worked so far and I'm honestly at a loss. I have ordered a new cable to test if mine is defective, but is there anything I can do/check in the meantime?

Here's what it looks like in my windows display settings (I didn't pull a screencap because using this res is torture)

The cable I'm using

The monitor I'm using

Solution
EDID issues usually relate to cable/ and or adapter. Very rare is it for a gpu to have trouble identifying a display under normal circumstances using a known working cable or adapter.

I looked at your monitor's manual yesterday and saw it had DP so assumed you're using that. Are you? Not a DP to DVI adapter?
Nah I'm not using an adapter. I finally got it all fixed though, I used a program called Monitor Asset Manager and created a .inf file while using the DVI port from my other GPU. I then switched the cards, and installed the drivers. It initially went back to the crappy resolution but I restarted my computer using the ignore digital driver signature mode and installed the .inf override and it is finally working normally.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There are many dodgy improperly made DP cables. Vesa even try to run a certification program for companies manufacturing their cable.

Few Vesa verified companies i know of are Accell, Startech and Club3D.

Probably is the cable.

Apr 14, 2020
There are many dodgy improperly made DP cables. Vesa even try to run a certification program for companies manufacturing their cable.

Few Vesa verified companies i know of are Accell, Startech and Club3D.

Probably is the cable.
Thanks a lot, this info was super helpful. I had no idea there was a certification for DP cables as I have been using DVI ever since I built my first PC about five years ago. I just picked up a Vesa certified Club3D cable. Thankfully I got this current cable from Amazon so it'll be ezpz sending it back. Take it easy dude.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
EDID issues usually relate to cable/ and or adapter. Very rare is it for a gpu to have trouble identifying a display under normal circumstances using a known working cable or adapter.

I looked at your monitor's manual yesterday and saw it had DP so assumed you're using that. Are you? Not a DP to DVI adapter?

Apr 14, 2020

Nah I'm not using an adapter. I finally got it all fixed though, I used a program called Monitor Asset Manager and created a .inf file while using the DVI port from my other GPU. I then switched the cards, and installed the drivers. It initially went back to the crappy resolution but I restarted my computer using the ignore digital driver signature mode and installed the .inf override and it is finally working normally.

Solution

Latest posts