[SOLVED] Using eARC instead of HDMI splitter

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I'm planning to buy a new TV with Dolby Vision support. But my old AV Receiver doesn't support DV. So if I connect my Nvidia Shield directly to my new TV can it out put audio using eARC feature to AV Receiver while getting input from (another HDMI port) Nvidia Shield?
TV I'm planning to buy is LG C2 OLED.

Last edited:
Solution
So I can't utilize ARC if the input selected in the TV is another HDMI port (not the ARC port)?
Sorry this is confusing to me.:unsure:

ARC will output whatever audio the TV receives. I have LG C1 and an older Denon. My devices(PC & PS5) connect to the TV and then I use the ARC port to pass-through the audio to the receiver. It also outputs any audio from streaming services that are built-in to TV.
I'm planning to buy a new TV with Dolby Vision support. But my old AV Receiver doesn't support DV. So if connect my Nvidia Shield directly to my new TV can it out put audio using eARC feature to AV Receiver while getting input from (another HDMI port) Nvidia Shield?
TV I'm planning to buy is LG C2 OLED.
I think what you would want to do is plug the nVidia Shield into the TV and use eARC from the TV > Receiver.
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I think what you would want to do is plug the nVidia Shield into the TV and use eARC from the TV > Receiver.
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know
Have you ever tried that method? Reason I'm asking is because my current TV supports this feature. But I never figured out the way to output audio via ARC HDMI while getting input from another HDMI. It does work when audio generated directly from the TV (like when using TV inbuilt apps to stream).

Have you ever tried that method? Reason I'm asking is because my current TV supports this feature. But I never figured out the way to output audio via ARC HDMI while getting input from another HDMI. It does work when audio generated directly from the TV (like when using TV inbuilt apps to stream).
I've never used ARC as my sound bar doesn't have HDMI and my receiver is in the way with the other TV.

So I can't utilize ARC if the input selected in the TV is another HDMI port (not the ARC port)?
Sorry this is confusing to me.:unsure:

ARC will output whatever audio the TV receives. I have LG C1 and an older Denon. My devices(PC & PS5) connect to the TV and then I use the ARC port to pass-through the audio to the receiver. It also outputs any audio from streaming services that are built-in to TV.

Solution