Using EasUS partition master is it possible to use the software on my Desktop to transfer OS from a USB HDD to aSSD USB t

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Using EasUS partition master is it possible to use the software on mymain unrelated Desktop to transfer OS from a USB HDD to a 120Gb SSD USB

Thank you for any info on this matter

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Unsure of what you are actually trying to do, but probably No.

What are you actually trying to do?
(leave out what software, etc)

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for your response

I have an ASUS laptop with an Hitachi 500 GB HDD which is showing a S.M.A.R.T error and posting a message that says back up and replace the HDD

So I thought that I could Download Easus Partition master and just do a simple migration of the OS to a new SSD etc.

This was OK until the activation code that I have for the software didn't work on the laptop with the faulty HDD and so I couldn't do this operation on the machine with the inactivated Easus software

I came up with the idea that maybe if I placed the new 120 GB SSD that I intend to use just for the Windows OS in a USB exterior box and did the same with the old Hitachi HDD with the win Os on it , through another USB external , maybe it would work. (On a PC with fully activated Easus software)

The problem that I have is that whilst the software allows you to choose the destination drive it does not (As far as I can see) allow you to determine the donor drive and that is the main issue I need to solve

Thank you once again for any light you can throw on this or indeed any other solution

And just to confirm that I do have fully activated Easus software on my main desktop PC

USAFRet

Titan
1. The Partition Master is not a cloning application.
Easus ToDo or Macrium Reflect will do that.

2. Cloning from a faulty drive usually means cloning faulty software as well. Not recommended.

3. You can't clone 'just the OS'. All or nothing from the donor drive.

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Please forgive my ignorance as I am an ageing tyro on IT

The part of the software I am trying to use is the migration of the OS as indicated by a the options

It maybe that in my simple approach I have indeed got it wrong and that migration of the software is not just the OS
but the whole HDD

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
I'm not really familiar with Partition Master, aside from managing partitions.
For cloning/Imaging operations, I use Macrium Reflect.
But that partition master might do it as well.

But...I've not seen any application that will migrate 'only the OS'. I've seen a couple that say it will, but I've never seen or read of anyone having success.

Mostly, all or nothing. OS, applications, everything.
A couple of them let you leave out static files like doc/video/music. But other than that...everything on that drive (or partitions) goes.

So...to reiterate:
You have a 500GB drive from an HP laptop, and the drive is showing SMART errors.
And you're trying to clone this to.....what, exactly?
And to put the clone into what, exactly?

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Thank you but I am having difficulty in posting a snipping tool image of the options from my version of Easus master partition Pro where cloning and the migration of OS to SSD or HDD is definitely possible.

The problem I am having as stated in my posts are that in the process the software only seems to want to migrate the OS from the OS that is running the PC I am using and not from the faulty HDD in an external USB connection

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
The problem was that becasue I could not activate the new downloaded EASUS software (for which I have activation codes etc) on my laptop with the damaged HDD and could not complete the migration on that machine. (it would not accept my activation code)

So I am trying to do the same operation using 2 external USB SATA enclosures on my third party desktop which has the activated software running.

The only problem I am encountering is that the Software only seem to wish to migrate the OS from the third party machine and not the HDD which is in the USB exterior box

The idea came from the list of all HDDs and SSD that the software lists as options etc in the migration or cloning process

Thanks once again USARet

USAFRet

Titan

Try different software, then.

Macrium Reflect will do a migration from and between 2 externally connected drives.

However...if the source drive is not 100% functional, you may be just moving the problems to a new drive.

Solution

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017

harveywan

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Yes I will try Macrium

part from the error message related to the damaged disc and the various tapping noises it is now making I dont think it has long to live, hower it is still working normally in every other respect.