[SOLVED] Using Etcher app to install Ubuntu on to computer via USB key but I don't know whether the USB key needs to be totally wiped clean beforehand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
As described in the title, I have a 64GB USB key that have semi-important files on it that I was going to use as a flash drive to install Ubuntu via the Etcher app.

I'm just wondering can I go ahead and install Ubuntu on to the USB key without worrying about losing the files that are already there?

Kind regards

Reactions: Tanejarahul
Solution
As described in the title, I have a 64GB USB key that have semi-important files on it that I was going to use as a flash drive to install Ubuntu via the Etcher app.

I'm just wondering can I go ahead and install Ubuntu on to the USB key without worrying about losing the files that are already there?

Kind regards

USB key storage use NAND chips that are basically the "rejects" for higher end products like SSD storage. They are the vast majority of times inferior in terms of longevity.

It's one of the things I don't like about "Unraid" since it boots off the USB Key. But since I don't write to my Unraid storage too much, and they have a backup recovery method for keys, it's acceptable (just inconvenient for USB key failures.)...

USAFRet

Titan

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
If that USB key is the ONLY copy of these semi important files, you need to fix that first.
Even with the best of intentions and procedures, errors can happen.

Copy those files elsewhere first.
Okay. Will do.

I have heard people have had negative experiences with Etcher. I'm just wondering do you have experience with it yourself or can recommend a safer alternative possibly?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay. Will do.

I have heard people have had negative experiences with Etcher. I'm just wondering do you have experience with it yourself or can recommend a safer alternative possibly?
Never used Etcher.
Rufus is a similar application.
It will also wipe all data from the drive.

And its not a matter of "safer"...this is how these things work. Including the Windows MediaCreation Tool.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Okay. Will do.

Never used Etcher.
Rufus is a similar application.
It will also wipe all data from the drive.

And its not a matter of "safer"...this is how these things work. Including the Windows MediaCreation Tool.

Oddly enough the USB key that I'm referring to was originally used for the Windows Media Creation tool to install Windows 10 on my new PC.
It is a "SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0". I noticed that after I installed Windows etc the USB device displayed 32GB of free space instead of 64GB even when there were no files inside of it. Also the name of the drive was called "ESB USB". I read online to remove the ESB you click "Delete Volume" on the USB drive within the Disk Management app. This removed the ESB but it did not return the key to its originally storage volume of 64GB. Now when I click on the USB key drive in "This PC" window it asks me to "Please insert disk into USB drive E".

Also I tried to format the USB key but it wouldn't allow me to unfortunately.

Just wondering do you know what I should do in order to fix this issue?

Last edited:

Kind regards

USB key storage use NAND chips that are basically the "rejects" for higher end products like SSD storage. They are the vast majority of times inferior in terms of longevity.

It's one of the things I don't like about "Unraid" since it boots off the USB Key. But since I don't write to my Unraid storage too much, and they have a backup recovery method for keys, it's acceptable (just inconvenient for USB key failures.)

I would create backups and encrypt them inside a password protected 7zip or standard zip file if they are sensitive. Store that on an external backup drive or on your local computer.

Go to your local Walmart big box store and spend the $10 for a new USB key for your install.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.