Using external power source for pc components

eldarlmari

Commendable
Sep 19, 2018
Is it safe to supply power via an external source(say an adapter/transformer connected to the wall socket or even another power supply outside the chasis)via the 3pin cables of digital rgb fans, while those same fans are being powered themselves, at the same time, by the 4pin cables connected to the fan headers on the motherboard, which just like every other component in the PC- is being powered by the PSU in the chasis.

In this scenario, there would be 2 independent power sources providing wattage to the components in my pc. The external power source powering all of the digital rgb channels(of the fans)n led strips, with the ATX PSU powering everything else.

Im asking this because there isnt enough current to supply all my 5V digital rgb needs.

Im planning to get 12 digital rgb case fans, at least 2 digital rgb strips in the chasis and at least 3 external digital rgb strips that im gonna wrap around my table n behind my monitor- all linked to an external music LED controller that im putting inside my pc chasis.

In other words, this controller needs a bare minimum of 12A of total current feeding it n i dont see how im able to obtain 12A of current at 5V voltage via the coolermaster V850 PSU im getting

I need to know the answer to this because i dont wanna risk damaging stuff from the concurrent use of multiple power sources in a single system

In the fortunate event that the answer is a positive, what are the precautions i should take? Do i have to always switch off the external power source first(hence, all the digital rgb components)before powering down my PC itself?

Solution
Well, using an fan powered control hub and control it via usb?
I know that antec h2o 1250 as watercooler has that option.

As for RGB strip, that would also need control hub.

Its way easier than using external power without any control of it.