[SOLVED] Using my graphics card while connecting my monitors to the motherboard ports.

oscadot

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
I know that this is unlikely to work but i have not seen anyone else ask this before.
I have a gtx 1050 that will be getting an upgrade soon, but until then...

I use a Ryzen 1600 as my cpu because of my hobby as a animator/ modeler but i recently found out about flight simulators.

I have an old monitor with VGA but i don't use it because my gpu has no vga.
Is there a way to direct my graphics power from my gpu to the motherboard ports?

Solution
so what you're saying is that you've been using the motherboard video out to connect to the monitor without an APU?
I didn't know that GPU passthrough on the motherboard was supported. Weird.

But either way you'll need a converter/adapter to connect your GPU to your display or you'll need to just get another display.

I don't know which 1050 you have, but if it has a DVI port on it then get this following adapter.
In case you don't live in America, then use it as a reference for finding whatever is available in your country.

Be careful though, since you need to pay attention to whether or not it's a converter that adapts DVI to VGA or if it's one that only goes the other way around. If it only goes VGA to DVI then it's of no use to...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
so what you're saying is that you've been using the motherboard video out to connect to the monitor without an APU?
I didn't know that GPU passthrough on the motherboard was supported. Weird.

But either way you'll need a converter/adapter to connect your GPU to your display or you'll need to just get another display.

I don't know which 1050 you have, but if it has a DVI port on it then get this following adapter.
In case you don't live in America, then use it as a reference for finding whatever is available in your country.

Be careful though, since you need to pay attention to whether or not it's a converter that adapts DVI to VGA or if it's one that only goes the other way around. If it only goes VGA to DVI then it's of no use to you and you will have wasted your money.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-GANA-Converter-Supporting-displays/dp/B06XFR74K2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540759853&sr=8-3&keywords=dvi+to+vga+converter

Typically you need a converter when going from digital to analog or when going from a higher spec digital down to a lower spec digital.

Example: going from DVI to HDMI only requires an adapter. But going from HDMI to DVI requires a converter since the signals (although both digital) are different and the signal from an HDMI needs to be converted before it'll pass through a DVI connection.

This is especially true when going from anything above VGA down to VGA since while DVI/HDMI/DP are digital signals, a VGA connection is analog and this definitely requires you to convert the signal before it'll even work.

Solution

oscadot

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
I have been using my GPU slots so far. Since it only has A hdmi (in use by my monitor) a displayport and a dvi ( which none of my monitors use).
Thanks for the replies, I was just checking to see.
Oh, i bought a dvi to vga adapter before without realizing something about dual link and i also picked the wrong dvi connector (probably since that connector would be for the vga link).

The 1000 series circuitry to convert the digital signal to analog was removed, but you could still connect a VGA monitor if you get an Active DisplayPort to VGA cable or adapter. They cost a little bit more than a plain adapter though.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750070