Question Using nvme ssd with ahci mode?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 25, 2019
Hello,

I recently built my pc with and 500gb samsung 970 evo plus nvme ssd and there's also a 1tb hard disk. The system is currently booting normally from the nvme ssd however when i get into bios, there are two options for drive i guess, which are raid and ahci. It is currently running on ahci however I have read somewhere that ahci is a protocol for older hard disks or sata ssds. Also, when I enter the boot priorities menu, theres no nvme ssd option in there. When I select UEFI HARD DISk , theres only one option that is windows boot control or something like that. I guess it is automatically booting from nvme ssd using windows? Are these selections correct, I mean I dont understand much from this.

Apr 25, 2019
ok so now I deleted the 99 mb efi partition on hdd. now theres a 99 mb unallocated space, so what should I do with this. Also, interestingly, there were 5 partitions in the cmd screen instead of 4 which can be seen in disk management. There was 16 mb reserved partition which is not visible in disk management. What is this partition?

now theres a 99 mb unallocated space, so what should I do with this.
Nothing. 99MB is 0.01% of total disk space. Irrelevant.
There was 16 mb reserved partition which is not visible in disk management. What is this partition?
That's protective MBR partition - for compatibility with MBR partition management tools.
The Protective MBR protects GPT disks from previously released MBR disk tools such as Microsoft MS-DOS FDISK or Microsoft Windows NT Disk Administrator. These tools are not aware of GPT and don't know how to properly access a GPT disk. Legacy software that does not know about GPT interprets only the Protected MBR when it accesses a GPT disk. These tools will view a GPT disk as having a single encompassing (possibly unrecognized) partition by interpreting the Protected MBR, rather than mistaking the disk for one that is unpartitioned.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-and-gpt-faq

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS