using oil as lubricant for case fan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nayo

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I have 2 hours tonight to clean up my PC and get going for tommorow. As i dont have grease and wanted to clean all the fans , how about using some coconut oil ? I mean it wont cause any problem right ?

Solution

Over the last 10 years, PC's in my house have a collective 250,000+ running hours.
Number of times I have had to relube a fan: 0.

Nayo

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016

Nope dude . i wont buy the lubricant . ill borrow it for 0.075 US Dollar. seems quite resonable .A new fan costs 7.5

USAFRet

Titan

'makes some noise'.
Is this the actual bearing? Or is it possibly a loose mounting?

While the term 'coconut oil' has the word 'oil' in it...it is not a lubricant.
Just like 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' has the word 'oil' in it....you do not use this to lube your fan.
Or " Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil". Again, the word 'oil' presents itself. Do not use this.

Nayo

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016

I had no Knowledge about this. that is the reason i asked for help . I got help . NICE!!!!! Ill use grease later

USAFRet

Titan

Over the last 10 years, PC's in my house have a collective 250,000+ running hours.
Number of times I have had to relube a fan: 0.

Solution

huvik

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

^^^this is the answer

Nayo

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016

Almost same here. Its not making Quite much noise . But hey curiosity ! just want to check stuff out