[SOLVED] Using old Noctua cooler in a new build?

mohamedkhaled21000

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
I have a Noctua NH-D14 that I have been using for almost 6 years now with my current build, I was planning a new build soon with either I7 10700K or Ryzen 7 3800x, can it still work or should I buy a new cooler. Also if I am buying a new cooler, what do you think of Gigabyte AORUS ATC800?

P.S: I can't seem to find Noctua any more in my country

Solution
The Noctua, with the proper mounting kit, should cool either CPU well. I would stick with using it, over the Gigabyte offering. Seems like an okay cooler, but you save save the expense and stick with the proven performer (Noctua).

Also, I would suggest the 3700x over the 3800x. It runs cooler and has nearly identical performance for most uses. Usually a bit less expensive as well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The Noctua, with the proper mounting kit, should cool either CPU well. I would stick with using it, over the Gigabyte offering. Seems like an okay cooler, but you save save the expense and stick with the proven performer (Noctua).

Also, I would suggest the 3700x over the 3800x. It runs cooler and has nearly identical performance for most uses. Usually a bit less expensive as well.

Solution

mohamedkhaled21000

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018

I loved Noctua, but I can't get a new one, doesn't its performance lower with time? after all it has been 6 years

NH-D14 is as good as it gets, stick with it if you can.

The mount will still be good for the i7-10700K.
You may need an adapter to fit a am4 motherboard.
I think noctua will send you one for free.

Unlike liquid coolers, a air cooler will not deteriorate over time.
There are no moving parts excepting the fan.
The NH-D14 has a 140mm fan which should supply better cooling than the 120mm fan on the f Gigabyte AORUS ATC800 you listed. If you want RGB bling, there are other ways to get that.