Question Using old SSD over to new build, how can I keep Windows 10?

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Okay, to elaborate I ONLY own a Windows 7 Pro Physical copy from years ago and when Windows went to free upgrade to Windows 10 I went to that. So, my question is how do I make sure I keep Windows 10 on my current drive for my new build, so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 when I've finished with everything? I don't mind wiping to clean install (Wins 10), but not completely wipe to the point that it doesn't even remember which version from Windows I was using, because I'm assuming my new PC won't even support Windows 7 to then go to 10 to then 11.

Any suggestions or steps I need to do to achieve this?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, to elaborate I ONLY own a Windows 7 Pro Physical copy from years ago and when Windows went to free upgrade to Windows 10 I went to that. So, my question is how do I make sure I keep Windows 10 on my current drive for my new build, so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 when I've finished with everything? I don't mind wiping to clean install (Wins 10), but not completely wipe to the point that it doesn't even remember which version from Windows I was using, because I'm assuming my new PC won't even support Windows 7 to then go to 10 to then 11.

Any suggestions or steps I need to do to achieve this?
You don't.

There are 2 different considerations here. Licensing and Operation.

Operation:
You don't/can't simply move your current drive+OS to the new hardware and expect it to work.

Licensing:
Link your current Win 10 to your MS account.
Then, build your new system, and install Win 10.
Once that is running and properly activated, you can Upgrade that to Win 11.

Ignore anything with Win 7 completely.

Reactions: CelicaGT