[SOLVED] Using one disk for Windows and one for storage instead of one disk for everything ?

erzebet

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I do apologize if I'm wrong.
In my pc I have a 500gb ssd drive and I want to buy an extra 1g ssd drive to install windows and use my old drive for storage, to have the documents folder there.
Is there an easy way to do this? I have read some guides about how to clone your drive but what about the files?

The 500g disk I have has enough space for both files and programs so what I was thinking is to have a disk only for Windows and programs because I see that when the disk has more free space then it runs faster. If you have any other recommendations you'd like to share I will appreciate that.

My O.S. is windows 10 pro

Solution
its how i have done it for last... 15 years. 2 disks, 1 for windows, 1 for everything else.

that way if/when windows dies you only lose windows. If you move all your library folders as well, you don't lose anything. apart from time.

I use this site cause they make clear descriptions - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...e-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

Note: helps to make destination folders 1st and make sure the destination matches that folder name and doesn't choose entire drive when you move a library

how to clone
Clone drives
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its how i have done it for last... 15 years. 2 disks, 1 for windows, 1 for everything else.

that way if/when windows dies you only lose windows. If you move all your library folders as well, you don't lose anything. apart from time.

I use this site cause they make clear descriptions - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...e-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

Note: helps to make destination folders 1st and make sure the destination matches that folder name and doesn't choose entire drive when you move a library

how to clone
Clone drives
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off

Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD

Power up

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)

Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using SDM)

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that

You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive

Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button

Wait until it is done

When it finishes, power off

Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order

If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.

Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: erzebet
Solution
most disks you buy these days should come with software, or have it offered by the manufacturer for download,
for cloning drives.
Samsung Magician is one great option that you can use for any manufacturer's disks.

having multiple drives for multiple options is always a better idea.
having your main drive with everything relating to your system on it crash and be determined lost data just sucks.

i keep 1x drive for the OS & applications,
1x for temp directories & page file,
1x for downloads and personal data storage,
1x for game installations.
plus 3x external drives for separate storage and for keeping separate backups of personal data and system.

if you have internal system tasks running, plus downloads in the background, plus viewing\playing personal files all reading & writing to\from one disk;
it can really slow down all processes.

USAFRet

Titan
I would add a new 1TB drive, and...

Leave the OS and applications where they are, on the current 500GB SSD.
Start using the new drive for other data. Move your personal files to this new drive.

Other people like a single large drive for everything.
Personal preference.

erzebet

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019

Note: helps to make destination folders 1st and make sure the destination matches that

If I understood correctly the steps I need to do is first clone the old drive into the new, erase or format(?) the old drive and then move the folders like my documents into the old using the method from the site you suggested, right?
If you don't mind answering a new question I have. In my documents folder I want to transfer there are some subfolders from a game (the sims 3). Would the game will be able to locate them to the new destination?

Colif

Win 11 Master
fixed above post but I may have over corrected it.

If I understood correctly the steps I need to do is first clone the old drive into the new, erase or format(?) the old drive and then move the folders like my documents into the old using the method from the site you suggested, right?
that would be right steps, or just do as USAFRet suggested and use new drive for all the data.

If you don't mind answering a new question I have. In my documents folder I want to transfer there are some subfolders from a game (the sims 3). Would the game will be able to locate them to the new destination?
If you use the link I showed and move library location, then yes, games will find it.