Using PC as a landline phone

Ian Feldmann

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hi, to put it simply I want to be able to make phone calls using my PC as the microphone and speaker. I already have a landline cable and a landline phone but I think that it would be really cool to be able to do this. Please dont question the idiocy of it as I know it sounds rediculous but it just sounds fun! Thanks
By the way I have a new computer so it most definitely does not have anything like a modem jack

Solution
This type of application was sketchy back when I bought my first Windows PC in the early 90's. My AST 486 DX2-50 had a program that you could use to make phone calls over the 9600baud modem (56K modems were still a dream back then). You could set it up so each account on the computer had it's own voicemail box.

It was never really popular back then and no programs like that would be in wide use today. As mcnumpty23 states, you'd probably have better luck with a free VOIP service or a pay for service like MagicJack.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
This type of application was sketchy back when I bought my first Windows PC in the early 90's. My AST 486 DX2-50 had a program that you could use to make phone calls over the 9600baud modem (56K modems were still a dream back then). You could set it up so each account on the computer had it's own voicemail box.

It was never really popular back then and no programs like that would be in wide use today. As mcnumpty23 states, you'd probably have better luck with a free VOIP service or a pay for service like MagicJack.

-Wolf sends

Solution

yeah it brings back memories of 4/5 kbs download speed

nightmarish doesnt even begin to describe that