Using Powerline to move router from entry point

Oct 14, 2018
I recently moved house and found out that the entry port for the internet is on the second floor at the back of the house. This is not ideal for good Wi-Fi coverage as it is an old mining house with high ceilings and thick walls.
I have tried to think of a way of moving the router to the front room using a Powerline adaptor but I'm not sure it will work.
Would there be an issue in using the following set-up:

Entry Point -> Powerline 1 -> Powerline 2 -> Router

The Entry Point to the Powerline adaptor would use a DSL to Ethernet cable and vice versa on the other end from Powerline to the Router.

If this doesn't work, I'll just have to shell out a bit for a Wi-Fi mesh system through the house.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

The best route is to use an ethernet cable to position the router in the middle of the house (or to the area nearest your computer). This can be done in the attic for example. Then if you like you can use interior walls to mount a face plate.

The Powerline adapters can also work, but there are some limitations. And it is more expensive.

st4rburst

Proper
May 10, 2018
Or just use a powerline adapter with a WIFI unit...

Then house connection -> router -> powerline in -> powerline wifispot wherever you want it... Don't complicate it trying to put them in the chain before your router....

Netgear XAV5201 is one such model. Cost £25 and lasted for 3 years before I had to replace it.

Etheretnet is not dsl just because you can convert the cables does not change the signalling. You can not use powerline to extend the dsl,

I would agree with the above post about using the powerline unit with a wifi AP in the remote unit. The newer units based on av2 technology work better than the older units. Price wise the av2-600 units are about the same as av500 units. The av2-1200 are somewhat faster but cost a little more

There would need to be a modem or router/modem at the entry point. That isn't up for debate. That would be necessary for any of theses scenarios. The only option without a modem there would be to extend the phone line connection to the new location and connect the modem there.

With a modem at the back of the house, you can use ethernet or Powerline to move the wireless router to a better location. The same would apply to a Powerline adapter with wireless at one end.