Question Using Smart TV as gaming monitor

Feb 28, 2019
I've been using the Samsung Smart TV T32E390SX(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-T32E390SX-Smart-LED-FHD-Black/dp/B01ALQ1CIQ ) for half a year now for the PS4 and I was wondering if connecting this to a new gaming pc would work just as well, as I've had no issues with the TV at all. Is it worth buying a new monitor or is this TV good enough for now.
I play FPS games such as Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch and my graphics card is the Rx 580 8GB(if that's important)

Thanks for the help in advance,

No harm in trying the tv before you buy a monitor. I game from the couch on my 55” tv with my PC connected. I assume you’re already using the TV’s Game mode with your PS4 connected? Besides that, the only other setting you need for PC hookup is the Input Device Type. It should be set to PC if you use HDMI, or DVI PC if you’re using a DVI to HDMI cable to hook up your computer. Rainbow Six can average about 100 FPS on your GPU, but the TV only supports up to 60Hz at 1080p. That’s fine if you’re accustomed to it, but if you’re craving higher FPS you’ll have to buy a monitor that supports it. Frame consistency is also important, so even though your GPU can do 100FPS average doesn’t guarantee a better experience based on that alone, but again no harm delaying purchase of a monitor to see if you’re happy with the TV you already have. On the TV you might be able to get higher refresh rates at lower resolutions if you try to make custom resolutions in your GPU control panel.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019
No harm in trying the tv before you buy a monitor. I game from the couch on my 55” tv with my PC connected. I assume you’re already using the TV’s Game mode with your PS4 connected? Besides that, the only other setting you need for PC hookup is the Input Device Type. It should be set to PC if you use HDMI, or DVI PC if you’re using a DVI to HDMI cable to hook up your computer. Rainbow Six can average about 100 FPS on your GPU, but the TV only supports up to 60Hz at 1080p. That’s fine if you’re accustomed to it, but if you’re craving higher FPS you’ll have to buy a monitor that supports it. Frame consistency is also important, so even though your GPU can do 100FPS average doesn’t guarantee a better experience based on that alone, but again no harm delaying purchase of a monitor to see if you’re happy with the TV you already have. On the TV you might be able to get higher refresh rates at lower resolutions if you try to make custom resolutions in your GPU control panel.
I’ve never changed any of the settings I just plugged the ps4 HDMI into the TV and switched it to the correct slot. I’m I missing something out whic is effecting my gameplay