[SOLVED] Using Socket 2 results in no POST. Does this socket look OK?

Furi0usGe0rge

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
I have a Supermicro X8DTL motherboard, which I can't RMA, that won't post when the 2nd CPU slot is in use.

I know the problem isn't the RAM, because I tested all the DIMMs on the 1st socket's slots.

I know the problem isn't the PSU, because the same PSU works fine on a nearly identical motherboard (difference is that one has integrated SAS).

The problem isn't CPU support in the BIOS, since the motherboard supports the CPUs with the 1st BIOS.

The problem isn't the default BIOS settings, because I've reset the bios by unplugging the board and taking out the CMOS battery.

I know the CPUs work, because they work in the first socket.

I know the problem isn't me, because I have healthy self-esteem.

I'm breadboarding to troubleshoot (I've also ordered a PCI-e POST tester, which will arrive later this week).

I've cleaned the motherboard pretty well and looked for bent/shorted pins or missing/misplaced jumpers.

The socket was a little beat up, but I've tried to fix that, and now it's less beat up.

Here is what the socket looked like before:

Before_1

Before_2 (circled problem areas that I was able to see)

Here's what it looks like after:

After_1

After_2 (circled the same areas after fix)

For reference, here's the pinout.

Pinout

That looks pretty OK, right?

Short of taking a multimeter to the board, I'm not sure what else I can do -- truth be told, it probably is not worth my time already -- but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading.