Using Steam VR's 'Knock Knock' Feature To Get Someone's Attention In VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Brilliant idea, but i think it would be better if it was a more idiot proof button like the space bar. In all seriousness, if i told my mum to press the F1 key, she'd look at the whole keyboard and still get confused.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Seems like a nice idea in theory, but unless it comes up a lot for you I can't see family members/flatmates/whatever remembering to do this (or how to do it) or being lazy and just tapping you on the shoulder anyway.

My personal preference therefore is to create a VR strong room securely locked from the inside with a light outside indicating that it's in use and a sign on the door detailing how to use this feature if the light is on.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

you can also use the mouse to send the message.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
My personal preference therefore is to create a VR strong room securely locked from the inside with a light outside indicating that it's in use and a sign on the door detailing how to use this feature if the light is on.

Bonus points if you make the outside interface look like the one outside ST:TNGs holodeck.

Geekwad

Admirable
I'd still rather not see it, but just hear someone.

I worked the same button concept (though actually a physical button) on my desk so someone can press it and then I can hear the microphone picking up room noise. Then I can decide if I want to pause, remove the HMD, just talk, and/or be able to press the button again to kill the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.