Using Sysprep to clone Windows7 onto a PC with RAID Disks?

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Hello

I have a PC running XP that I would like to upgrade to WIndows7. The XP machine has 2 disks in a RAID0 setup running off a Gigabyte Motherboard.

If I was installing from scratch I would need to boot from the Windows7 installation CD and then when prompted press F6 to load the drivers for the RAID system, so that Windows can understand how to access the disks.

However I would like to clone an existing system from another Windows7 machine. I have done this many times before using Sysprep /generalise to create a universal installation.

But how can I add the necessary RAID drivers during the Sysprep process so that it will successfully boot and install once copied to the target RAID machine?

Thanks for your advice.

Solution
I've found an answer to my own question and so thought I would post it here.

The answer is to add a second (non Raid) controller card to the PC with single hard drive connected. Sysprep the Windows 7 installation to this drive and get the whole system working.

Then add the RAID drivers to this installation and make sure you can access the existing RAID drives as a slave disk. Then image copy the installation over to the RAID disks, set them as active and reboot...

:)

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I've found an answer to my own question and so thought I would post it here.

The answer is to add a second (non Raid) controller card to the PC with single hard drive connected. Sysprep the Windows 7 installation to this drive and get the whole system working.

Then add the RAID drivers to this installation and make sure you can access the existing RAID drives as a slave disk. Then image copy the installation over to the RAID disks, set them as active and reboot...

:)

Solution