[SOLVED] Using the ethernet port on a TP-Link range extender ?

Aug 4, 2021
Hi all

I have a stupid question but a question nonetheless, can a WiFi range extender that is already connected to a network be connected via a Lan cable to another router and supply Internet to that router?

As I can't get the backup router to work with wds so I'm trying trying another method if possible.

Thanks
Mitch

Solution
It should work. The extender/repeater logically appears as if you have a ethernet cable all the way to the way to the main router even though there really is a wifi connection. So it will have much worse performance but the second router does not know what is in the path just as you really don't know what your ISP has.

You should be able to use it connected either as a AP or a actual router. Mostly this is related to if you want the devices on the same or a different network.
It should work. The extender/repeater logically appears as if you have a ethernet cable all the way to the way to the main router even though there really is a wifi connection. So it will have much worse performance but the second router does not know what is in the path just as you really don't know what your ISP has.

You should be able to use it connected either as a AP or a actual router. Mostly this is related to if you want the devices on the same or a different network.

Solution
Aug 4, 2021
I have the repeater already setup and broadcasting WiFi, if I plug the device into it directly via a Lan cable it works no problem, but when I connect it to o the other router, on all Lan ports, and lan/Wan port. I've also tried to make the router a bridge, but the router does not pick up any Lan port, so I'm guessing it does not work in this sense, IL just have to get a newer router with working wds.

Thank you

You likely need to change ip address it is using on the lan ports. If both use 191.168.0.1 there will be a conflict. So if you use the the wan port change the lan ip to 192.168.50.1. Be aware you are running it as a router and have 2 networks like this.

WDS is a function of a repeater many routers do not have the the ability. Most routers that support WDS only allow repeaters to connect to them not for the router to act as a repeater. In addition you can not hook a repeater to a repeater via WDS. This is a function of systems you see called mesh and you have to get all the equipment from the same vendor. Even if it works having multiple wifi repeaters in the path gives you extremely poor wifi performance.