Question Using the ID Cooling SE 214 XT for a Ryzen 7 5800X ?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Very basic budget system on an A520 motherboard. I'm updating upgrading from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a
Ryzen 7 5800X due to the INSANE price it was up for. The case has some very basic fixed RGB fans 3x (120) and the motherboard has no RGB header. From what I can tell online the ID Cooling unit seems to perform in a similar ballpark to the CM Hyper 212 and the real topper being the IDC unit is on sale for $15.

This CPU will be used mostly for playing and possibly recording SIMS game, and perhaps some video editing of content from that same game. Currently paired with a GTX 1080 with a future plan of upgrading that to something like the 7600 XT level of GPU, mostly for Free Sync in relation to the monitor being used (1080/75)

It certainly doesn't need to be stated that there are better cooler options, but for $15 as opposed to the Wraith Stealth, this should do a workable job for this use case, or no? Only testing I can find in a quick search is reviewing on a 5600X and/or foreign language, so figured I would ask of personal experience.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
YVery basic budget system on an A520 motherboard. Updating from the R5 3600 to the R7 5800X due to the INSANE price it was up for. The case has some very basic fixed RGB fans 3x (120) and the motherboard has no RGB header. From what I can tell online the ID Cooling unit seems to perform in a similar ballpark to the CM Hyper 212 and the real topper being the IDC unit is on sale for $15.
This CPU will be used mostly for playing and possibly recording SIMS game, and perhaps some video editing of content from that same game. Currently paired with a GTX 1080 with a future plan of upgrading that to something like the 7600 XT level of GPU, mostly for Free Sync in relation to the monitor being used (1080/75)

It certainly doesn't need to be stated that there are better cooler options, but for $15 as opposed to the Wraith Stealth, this should do a workable job for this use case, or no? Only testing I can find in a quick search is reviewing on a 5600X and/or foreign language, so figured I would ask of personal experience.
You will have a problem with the 5800X , the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a better cooler.

5800x does not come with OEM cooler as it would be woefully inadequate, Air coolers like CM hyper 212 or in it's class not much better if you want to enable that CPU's full performance. For that top notch air cooler is needed, not some piss-ant 15 bucks 120mm cooler.
Take a look at this one
https://www.arctic.de/en/Freezer-36-Series
It's a minimum I would go for and not much more expensive. It should be quite enough considering that A520 MB wouldn't be able to supply full power to it.
Until recently, I had 5800x on a x470 MB and it took360 AIO cooler to keep it in check but on full performance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you could get a 5700x and not the 5800x you would be quieter with any cooling

The 5800X was $122 which just happened to be well less than the 5700X and a few dollars less than the 5600X. I had not envisioned using this CPU for this build as it is mostly unsuitable, as related above, as the motherboard isn't going to have proper power delivery. Just the same, even if I knee cap it a little bit, it is still going to be great perf to price.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The cheapest I can think of which might do the job is the Thermalright Burst Assassin since it has 6 heatpipes. You'd be a lot better off stretching the budget for a two fan model or dual tower cooler.

I was looking at that one (Burst Assassin) as well. I don't care for the fact that it is all nickel. No copper even for the contact part of the heat pipes.
I have a box slap full of 120mm fans so just as long as they are nice enough to include the other retention bracket, I am probably going to slap an extra fan on there anyway and make this one into a push pull config. The single fan shows a 150W TDP cooling ability and the dual fan shows 180W. Since this case already has the mentioned 3x120 configuration which are molex only, noise isn't a concern so long as it doesn't actually burst into flame (lol).

I also plan to place one fan right in the top blowing down to get some cooling on the VRM since the current Wraith is providing that as a downdraft.

For $15 and other considerations, I am going to give it a try. If it doesn't work, I will seek other options. I appreciate the comments.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
The 5800X was $122 which just happened to be well less than the 5700X and a few dollars less than the 5600X. I had not envisioned using this CPU for this build as it is mostly unsuitable, as related above, as the motherboard isn't going to have proper power delivery. Just the same, even if I knee cap it a little bit, it is still going to be great perf to price.
In my signature, on the pc2 I have the 5700x together with Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO and with the PBO enabled I have seen it reach 140 watts and a maximum of 77-80C degrees, but here we are talking about a cooler that costs much more than 15 dollars you want to give, well the issue is what you pay for you get.
We are talking about the same processor with a difference of 1%, but if you know how to work with it, it is much better than the 5800x and colder

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
you need more than 200 watts

AMD themselves recommend 150 on a rating of 105. I am not doubting you, just saying. I have no doubt this could turn out to be a limiting factor for the CPU but for its foreseeable use case (and the fact that the cooler will be here today) I am going to try it and see.

Worst comes to worse I will spend some time and money that could have been spent up front returning it and trying some other budget option a little further up the ladder.

Being fair, my biggest current concern isn't whether this system is really suitable for the Ryzen 7, but whether or not Microsoft is going to pull their silly crap and invalidate the activation due to a hardware change. This has now happened to me twice in a very short time frame....A new license will, for sure, cause me pause to move forward with the new part as it will cost about half or more of the base system at time of purchase.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
AMD themselves recommend 150 on a rating of 105. I am not doubting you, just saying. I have no doubt this could turn out to be a limiting factor for the CPU but for its foreseeable use case (and the fact that the cooler will be here today) I am going to try it and see.

Worst comes to worse I will spend some time and money that could have been spent up front returning it and trying some other budget option a little further up the ladder.

Being fair, my biggest current concern isn't whether this system is really suitable for the Ryzen 7, but whether or not Microsoft is going to pull their silly crap and invalidate the activation due to a hardware change. This has now happened to me twice in a very short time frame....A new license will, for sure, cause me pause to move forward with the new part as it will cost about half or more of the base system at time of purchase.
I'll see if I can send you a screenshot let's see what AMD says