Using to much CPU power

Fares_Halteh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
http://members.home.net/halteh4/ripping.jpg

Im running a 1.2 tbird, 764 RAM, A7V, plextor 12/10/32A. When I rip a cd it uses full cpu power and never passes the 10.5x barrier. Also I cannot seem to burn passed 10x. 12x always fails and I notices that CPU power when burning 10x coasts just around 75-85% but once i raise it to 12x it hits 100% and than fails within the first minute. Do I have something not properly set up? is there anything I can do about this? it just doesn't seem right to me. Thanks

p.s. I do recall a time when I was able to burn at 12x and rip at 17x, it hasn't done this for a long time though.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ummmm
only thing i can think of is do u have DMA or UDMA mode properly enabled?

i know win2k has a habit if DISABLING DMA transfers when doing a reinstall...
once i tried to burn a cd. it was taking 100% processor capacity (this is on an athlon 1350 mind) and got 137 avoided buffer underruns!
later i found it was reset back to PIO mode!

check your hardware under control panel -> system, both the drives themselves and the IDE controllers

hope it helps

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

G

I've found with my HiVal 40x CD-ROM. Only CDDex will rip CD's at high speed. Other rippers don't take use the diggedy dog mode high speed modes.

G

Same problem... using a plextor 16x and win xp (amd1400ddr). UDMA is enabled... Seems that scsi is not a bad solution...