Question using TP-Link Wireless TL-WR841N on WiFi extender mode

alrosh

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Hi,
I'm trying to extend the WiFi signal using another router I have "TL-WR841N" and my pc is connected to the new network but there's no internet.
While if I tried to extend the signal using my smartphone for example (hotspot mode), the Internet works fine but it's not a practical solution to extend the WiFi using my phone.

Here are the pictures for the extending configuration.

2BHSSks.png

lrvAlnf.png

bgTK282.jpg

F7lYoQN.png

that's all, is there something I should modify, or this type of router is not meant to extend the signal?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,
I'm trying to extend the WiFi signal using another router I have "TL-WR841N" and my pc is connected to the new network but there's no internet.
While if I tried to extend the signal using my smartphone for example (hotspot mode), the Internet works fine but it's not a practical solution to extend the WiFi using my phone.

Here are the pictures for the extending configuration.

2BHSSks.png

lrvAlnf.png

bgTK282.jpg

F7lYoQN.png

that's all, is there something I should modify, or this type of router is not meant to extend the signal?
The password should be what is required to connect to HeimBox.

Does it have any kind of log to tell you if it actually connected to the main router.

Repeaters need a featured called WDS enabled on the main router many times. Depends on the router some require you to put in the mac address of your repeater. WDS and repeaters in general is considered a security exposure so some device do not have it on by default

alrosh

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Does it have any kind of log to tell you if it actually connected to the main router.

Repeaters need a featured called WDS enabled on the main router many times. Depends on the router some require you to put in the mac address of your repeater. WDS and repeaters in general is considered a security exposure so some device do not have it on by default
Unfortunately, I don't have any access to the main router (for a couple of months at least)
Is there a way to extend the signal just like I did with using my smartphone hotspot? I mean similar method? even if I should buy another hardware device

kanewolf

Titan
Unfortunately, I don't have any access to the main router (for a couple of months at least)
Is there a way to extend the signal just like I did with using my smartphone hotspot? I mean similar method? even if I should buy another hardware device
A smartphone hotspot uses cellular data. It is not extending an existing WIFI signal.

There are some routers that can run in what they call "universal" repeater mode. This is all proprietary stuff but there are 2 common ways this works. The first the device runs as if the connection to the main router is a WAN port. This means there are 2 different networks so there can be file sharing issues. The other uses a mac cloning method similar to NAT. There are some issues with ARP in certain cases. I forget the routers that have this, I think it was tplink that I saw does this but I tend to never run any kind of repeater so I can't say for sure.

Not sure if they still do but you use to have to dedicate one your radio chips to talk to the main router. So if you used 5ghz to talk to the main router you could only use 2.4 to talk to the end devices. Again its been years since I looked at the details of this stuff.