Question Using Treadmill Freezes PC

Aug 12, 2022
Hello,
I recently bought a treadmill to use at my standing desk, its an inexpensive one only going up to 6kph. So its not for running, just for some walking while working.

Now my problem: Everytime I use the treadmill it causes my PC to freeze.
It's not immediate, sometimes i can go for a few hours, sometimes its after a few minutes. The screen just freezes so no Bluescreen or Restart. Only option is to do a forced reboot. I already checked the debug files but it only says something about 0x09F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
But I think thats because of the force reboot since the PC still runs. I just can't use anything.
If i don't use the treadmill my PC never crashes.

It's also a fairly new System:
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
CPU: Ryzen7 5800X
MB: ASUS ROG B550-E
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Platinum 750W
SSD: SAMSUNG Evo 970 1TB M.2

I already tried moving my PC further away and also plugging the Treadmill into a different outlet but it didn't help.
Could this be because the Motor of the treadmill interferes somehow with the PC? Like inducing a current or something?

Aug 12, 2022
I just found a thread on reddit where someone had a similar issue. His PC was freezeing due to static electricity he built up on his chair. He said it stopped after he changed his MoBo from a B55E to a X570.
Maybe its a MoBo problem where it isn't grounded properly?
I also noticed I charge myself up quite a bit while walking.

Is the treadmill plastic? It should be grounded and touching any metal on treadmill will ground you. Chech your grounding.
The motherboard mounting screws tie mb ground to the case - case thru the pwr cord.
If not ground then noise, try to find an inexpensive plug in line filter.

Reactions: ChrisPyro
Aug 12, 2022
Is the treadmill plastic? It should be grounded and touching any metal on treadmill will ground you. Chech your grounding.
The motherboard mounting screws tie mb ground to the case - case thru the pwr cord.
If not ground then noise, try to find an inexpensive plug in line filter.
Treadmill is plastic and doesn't have any metal.
It is grounded through the powercable into the outlet.
MoBo is properly mounted using the standoffs.

What is noise?
Never heard of it.

It might be static electricity running through my mouse/keyboard into the PC.
But how would I check for that?

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
What is noise?
Noise: random electromagnetic waves that can interfere with any sort of electronic signal.

Like when you have a transmitting antenna of some sort (maybe a cellphone) next to a speaker that's being used. You can literally hear noise if there's not enough of a barrier. Now think about what that kind of thing does to the digital signals inside your computer.

Was around noise is to have everything grounded to a common ground and to have the ground and the ground only have one end that's actually grounded (otherwise you could get a groundloop). That and RF shielding helps (metal cladding or mesh around sensitive parts that's also grounded).

Aug 12, 2022
Noise: random electromagnetic waves that can interfere with any sort of electronic signal.

Like when you have a transmitting antenna of some sort (maybe a cellphone) next to a speaker that's being used. You can literally hear noise if there's not enough of a barrier. Now think about what that kind of thing does to the digital signals inside your computer.

Was around noise is to have everything grounded to a common ground and to have the ground and the ground only have one end that's actually grounded (otherwise you could get a groundloop). That and RF shielding helps (metal cladding or mesh around sensitive parts that's also grounded).
Okay I heard of that just didn't know it also works with powercables.

If it was noise shouldn't it be gone if i used a different outlet thats connected to a different circuit breaker?
Our house has multiple circuits that all have breakers. So the noise from one circuit shouldn't affect the other circuits.
Or am I misunderstanding you?

Also: how big might the EM field be?
It's a 400W Electromotor in the treadmill and my PC is about 4ft/1.2m away and off the ground

Motors are noisey devices, cause voltage dips and surges and generate magnetic fields.
Better the motor better the noise.
Test if it's you or not. plug in a grounded device metal lamp a blender etc...
Touch it constamtly while charging up, do you get shocked? Hold while walking.
Touching ground will keep you discharged - if computer stays on now you may be zapping computer with static electricity. another option would be to step off and ground yourself.
You can also try to eliminate static by changing shoes - or try bare feet. Need to determine whats causing problem first.

Reactions: ChrisPyro
Aug 12, 2022
Motors are noisey devices, cause voltage dips and surges and generate magnetic fields.
Better the motor better the noise.
Test if it's you or not. plug in a grounded device metal lamp a blender etc...
Touch it constamtly while charging up, do you get shocked? Hold while walking.
Touching ground will keep you discharged - if computer stays on now you may be zapping computer with static electricity. another option would be to step off and ground yourself.
You can also try to eliminate static by changing shoes - or try bare feet. Need to determine whats causing problem first.
Okay i will try to reproduce the problem while doing that.
I'll keep you posted

Aug 12, 2022
Did you grow up with a CRT and your mom turns on the blender, vacuum or microwave in the kitchen, or maybe it was your neighbor that turn theirs on?
Yes I did grow up with a CRT but i don't quite understand what you are trying to tell me here apart from the tingly hair standing up feeling you get from CRTs, sorry

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Yes I did grow up with a CRT but i don't quite understand what you are trying to tell me here apart from the tingly hair standing up feeling you get from CRTs, sorry
When my mom turned something on the TV would show static and sound funny. The point being that you can have something clear in another room or even building and it will have an effect on your electronics.

I say "will have an effect" because there is always a level where you won't notice it or it won't be a problem but it's still there. The farther away and the greater the RF barrier between the two the less noise you get. Also, RF that hits a resonant frequency of a circuit also have a greater effect than one that doesn't. Noise will always be present in every circuit, but as long as it's low enough it doesn't cause any noticeable effects you're fine.

Hello,
I recently bought a treadmill to use at my standing desk, its an inexpensive one only going up to 6kph. So its not for running, just for some walking while working.

Now my problem: Everytime I use the treadmill it causes my PC to freeze.
It's not immediate, sometimes i can go for a few hours, sometimes its after a few minutes. The screen just freezes so no Bluescreen or Restart. Only option is to do a forced reboot. I already checked the debug files but it only says something about 0x09F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
But I think thats because of the force reboot since the PC still runs. I just can't use anything.
If i don't use the treadmill my PC never crashes.

It's also a fairly new System:
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
CPU: Ryzen7 5800X
MB: ASUS ROG B550-E
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Platinum 750W
SSD: SAMSUNG Evo 970 1TB M.2

I already tried moving my PC further away and also plugging the Treadmill into a different outlet but it didn't help.
Could this be because the Motor of the treadmill interferes somehow with the PC? Like inducing a current or something?
Get an anti-static wrist strap.
Put it on your wrist and the other end connect to a bare metal part of the pc......test.