Using two different cards.

haydenwebb95

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
So, I just bought a new graphics card and still have the old one. Don't really feel like selling it and don't want it to sit there and collect dust. I know this has probably been asked and answered 100 times but can I use these two together and if so is it worth it? My old one is a GTX 970 and the new one is a GTX 1080. I can't SLI them right?

Sorry I'm kind of new to this PC stuff.

Solution
You SLI two of the same cards. Assuming you have the slots on the motherboard for the cards and the power supply that has the connectors and power to handle both cards, you can install and 'use' both cards. I say 'use' in quotes because outside of something like cryptocurrency mining there's no real use for such a setup.

The reason is simple, not many people ever try to run their computer with multiple cards so not many game or software developers design their products to make use of such a setup.
You SLI two of the same cards. Assuming you have the slots on the motherboard for the cards and the power supply that has the connectors and power to handle both cards, you can install and 'use' both cards. I say 'use' in quotes because outside of something like cryptocurrency mining there's no real use for such a setup.

The reason is simple, not many people ever try to run their computer with multiple cards so not many game or software developers design their products to make use of such a setup.

Solution

haydenwebb95

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017

Ah I see. Well thank you.