Using two video cards on one monitor.

capd72

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Hi, I don't know if some one have done this before but I can not find anything on the internet about it,

I have a gforce gtx 750 video card wich I use for everything on my PC, from gaming to multimedia playing, etc. ...and it is connected to the HDMI input in my monitor.

...now I want to add a second video card to my PC (an Nvidia Quaro K600) for using autocad and other 3D modeling software.

The question is if I can connect the Dysplay Port of the Nvidia Quadro K600 to the display port on my monitor, this means that I will have both video card on my PC connected to the same monitor, so that, I can select wich video card to display on my monitor by just selecting the infput-source button on the monitor.

Tha main idea is that when I am gaming, surfing internet or playing multimedial on my PC I would select the HDMI input on my monitor and I will be using the gforce 750 video card,

...then when I need to work with the autocad I will switch to the Display port input on my monitor to use the Quadro K600. ...just by selecting the surce button onmy monitor wich is very easy way to it, instead having two monitors that needs a lot of space.

would this setup of two cards and one monitor would work? ...will the PC recognize wich video card is active so that the video will be sent trough it?

thanks

Solution

My mistake. I thought you already had both cards.

I went back and checked my records. I had an old 8800 GTS that I installed in the other PCIe X16 slot of one of my motherboards. I used it for the second monitor so...

capd72

Reputable
May 19, 2014
...yes I think so ...but I am afraid about buying the card and not working ...this would hurt a lot!!! ..that's why I am doing some research before

...I am worry about how the PC will handle to choose wich card to use

...iwill it detect wich port I am using, so that it will send the video signal to the corresponding card? ...or both card will be used at the same time? ...or just the primary card will work?

...I am very lost about it ...and there is not much info about it

...but thanks a lot for your help!.

capd72

Reputable
May 19, 2014
...I think it will depends on the motherboard about how it will handle both cards.
...I have a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5
...I will open a case on gigabyte forum and see what they have to say about it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

My mistake. I thought you already had both cards.

I went back and checked my records. I had an old 8800 GTS that I installed in the other PCIe X16 slot of one of my motherboards. I used it for the second monitor so as not to lose any performance from my main card. It worked fine in that mode.

Solution

moose2017

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
you can do this if you have two way crossfire and if your video cards do they usally come with a cord to hook them together and then you could probably run them with one hdmi cord but they have to be two way cross fire