Using Windows 10 OEM on new system build

userhasdisconnected

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I had windows 7 OEM (64bit) and used my free upgrade to get windows 10. I am building a new PC and want to get an SSD to use as my boot drive but I still want to keep my current HDD for all of my applications files etc. Most of what I've read tell me to format my HDD and start fresh, but I also read that since windows 8 I can use my current OEM license in a new PC.

Is this true? What would you suggest as the best course of action in this situation?

Also, how would I go about moving the OS to the new drive and leave most of the files behind on the old one?

Help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Solution

Whoever wrote that was an idiot. If you make a new PC (new motherboard), you cannot use your old OEM license. For the situation you describe, you will need a new license.

Also, if you install on an SSD, you're going to have to reinstall your applications, though Steam and Origin games will use the existing files for re-installation (but basically everything else will not)

Whoever wrote that was an idiot. If you make a new PC (new motherboard), you cannot use your old OEM license. For the situation you describe, you will need a new license.

Also, if you install on an SSD, you're going to have to reinstall your applications, though Steam and Origin games will use the existing files for re-installation (but basically everything else will not)

Solution