[SOLVED] Using windows defender firewall with Bitdefender

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
So I'm asking because I have Bitdefender total security 2020 and I play xbox games on PC, I reinstalled Windows because of a issue I was facing, thread here https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-varying-in-speed-same-speed-as-wifi.3640059/
Now I'm asking about this because the xbox app is saying my server connection is "blocked" and found it to be because of the windows defender firewall being off, as soon as I turn it off server is connected. So my question is, can I turn off the firewall in Bitdefender off and turn the Windows one on without it interfering? So have Bitdefender on except for the firewall and then turn of Windows defender firewall. Also what are the thoughts of Bitdefender? Is it known to cause some issues with speeds and stuff? what would good alternatives be that offer just as good protection but maybe less system impact.

Solution
So you're saying to completely uninstall Bitdefender? not just the firewall? I was having internet speed problems after trying a lot, I ended up doing a clean Windows install and got a new router instead of the regular fios one. And now my speeds are almost back to normal maybe 100mbps off sometimes more sometime less. I read that Bitdefender firewall may slow it down and I have to turn it off anyway for xbox app to work and connect. So you recommend not using any 3rd party antivirus just use the Windows security and defender firewall? would you say malwarebyte is good/useful in this case? I can uninstall Bitdefender on another PC and see how it runs there. Thanks for the imput
Ok let me tell you what I do. I use Windows...
would you be able to trace the port or app needed to be opened, and merely opening it in the appropriate firewall? (I have no experience with BitDefender, but, if it is blocking a connection for firewall functioning, it should have controls to view/open the port/app in question for inbound/outbound connections)

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
would you be able to trace the port or app needed to be opened, and merely opening it in the appropriate firewall? (I have no experience with BitDefender, but, if it is blocking a connection for firewall functioning, it should have controls to view/open the port/app in question for inbound/outbound connections)
That's the thing I checked Bitdefender and all available apps on the list are on so I'm not sure. Right now I have switched off Bitdeneders' firewall and turned on Windows defender firewall on it's default settings and with this configuration I get connection in Xbox app. I don't want to run both firewall so would having Bitdefender on except for it's firewall and the having windows firewall on, would that be good? if I only keep one on? Thanks

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I would get rid of Bit Defender its bloatware. Just use MS firewall and MS Defender and allow access on the firewall and you should be good to go. 🖐🏽🙉🤷🏽‍♂️😷✝

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
I would get rid of Bit Defender its bloatware. Just use MS firewall and MS Defender and allow access on the firewall and you should be good to go. 🖐🏽🙉🤷🏽‍♂️😷✝
So you're saying to completely uninstall Bitdefender? not just the firewall? I was having internet speed problems after trying a lot, I ended up doing a clean Windows install and got a new router instead of the regular fios one. And now my speeds are almost back to normal maybe 100mbps off sometimes more sometime less. I read that Bitdefender firewall may slow it down and I have to turn it off anyway for xbox app to work and connect. So you recommend not using any 3rd party antivirus just use the Windows security and defender firewall? would you say malwarebyte is good/useful in this case? I can uninstall Bitdefender on another PC and see how it runs there. Thanks for the imput

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Ok let me tell you what I do. I use Windows Security all of it. Once you use another anti virus 3rd party app it will install bloatware and chunk up your system and slow and bog it down. Built in Windows Firewall and Defender do the job just fine. But my config is I use that but then I also have malwarebytes free as I do not wan't it to have real time protection as that disables Windows Defender real time protection. So all my ticks are to the left and not turned on so free version is fine. The app also adds to your context menu with a right click you can scan with MalwareBytes. I have that in my tray along with SuperAntiSpyware Pro X along with Spybot 2.7 ... Also I use spywareblaster which I run once in a while. Also in my tray in Zemana AntiSpyware. TLDR 🙈

Also I use Firefox Chrome and Edge all with bunch of extensions and security stuff. Yes I recommend getting rid of Bit companies stuff as that slows down the system and causes more issues then the supposed fix and what not. Once you use all of WIndows Security and you use SuperAntiSpyware Free even and MalwareBytes Free and Spybot 2.7 and run a spywareblaster to put stuff in your hosts to block and what not. Many consumers who don't know Adam from Eve call up and buy Norton Security for example. Does this mean it is a good thing. No it doesn't I have been using Norton stuff since the 90's and they are not very good neither are other companies at making something simple. A sipmle security tool instead it takes up lots CPU power which may not show in stats but they do in a way bog down your system and make your SSD slow when it was fast before. ✝😷🤷🏽‍♂️🙉🖐🏽👨🏽‍🦲🙏🏽💯

Solution

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Ok let me tell you what I do. I use Windows Security all of it. Once you use another anti virus 3rd party app it will install bloatware and chunk up your system and slow and bog it down. Built in Windows Firewall and Defender do the job just fine. But my config is I use that but then I also have malwarebytes free as I do not wan't it to have real time protection as that disables Windows Defender real time protection. So all my ticks are to the left and not turned on so free version is fine. The app also adds to your context menu with a right click you can scan with MalwareBytes. I have that in my tray along with SuperAntiSpyware Pro X along with Spybot 2.7 ... Also I use spywareblaster which I run once in a while. Also in my tray in Zemana AntiSpyware. TLDR 🙈

Also I use Firefox Chrome and Edge all with bunch of extensions and security stuff. Yes I recommend getting rid of Bit companies stuff as that slows down the system and causes more issues then the supposed fix and what not. Once you use all of WIndows Security and you use SuperAntiSpyware Free even and MalwareBytes Free and Spybot 2.7 and run a spywareblaster to put stuff in your hosts to block and what not. Many consumers who don't know Adam from Eve call up and buy Norton Security for example. Does this mean it is a good thing. No it doesn't I have been using Norton stuff since the 90's and they are not very good neither are other companies at making something simple. A sipmle security tool instead it takes up lots CPU power which may not show in stats but they do in a way bog down your system and make your SSD slow when it was fast before. ✝😷🤷🏽‍♂️🙉🖐🏽👨🏽‍🦲🙏🏽💯
I went ahead and already uninstalled all parts of Bitdefender, it's vpn and extensions on my other PC and it runs smooth and I will go and install malwarebytes and maybe the other stuff you recommended also. Thanks for letting me know what you use and how to have it setup.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't mean to resurrect an older thread, but I equally wouldn't want people visiting the forums seeing "Bitdefender is bloatware" when it absolutely isn't. It is, and has been, one of the best Antivirus for years across multiple tests and in more recent times is incredibly performance effective.

Nothing wrong with Windows Defender at all. Just wanted to point out the "Bitdefender" bit because it is an excellent Antivirus that is amongst the top in security.

Last edited: