Using workstation remotely with no or barely any latency

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016
Hello i am curious is it possible to remotely access a workstation via a gaming pc with no or barely any latency, and if so how? And if not can i just physically connect the two pc's over wifi, like connect the two via an Ethernet cable?

Solution

Then sure. RDC, TeamViewer, etc...a "workstation" does not need "zero latency".
And your gaming PC will not have "workstation capabilities". You're simply accessing that other system through a window, and using it.
In order to use Remote Desktop to connect to a computer that computer that you want to get into needs Windows 7/8/10 Pro or Enterprise.

You can also use Goto My Pc, but it isn't free or rather its only free for 7 days.
https://www.gotomypc.com

You can also use Teamviewer to remote into another computer. (Free for personal use)
https://www.teamviewer.us/

If you have a pro or enterprise version of Windows on the computer you want to remote into I would just use remote desktop.

If not try using Teamviewer.

But don't forget remote desktop connections aren't magic.

If you connect through wifi on a 4 megabit connection you won't have a great experience.

And this works both ways.

If your house has a 6 megabit connection for download and upload and your work has a 100 megabit download and upload your connection speed would be limited by your house if you tried to connect from work.

Connecting to a local computer that are both on gigabit Ethernet would deliver a good experience.

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016

well can i connect both computers via an Ethernet cable from a gigabit card and while both computers are connected to wifi and get that same experience?

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016

i am wanting to have my gaming pc have workstation capabilities, so i dont have to move to another area of the house to use the workstation

USAFRet

Titan

And your gaming PC will not have "workstation capabilities". You're simply accessing that other system through a window, and using it.

Solution

sjosue19

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012

I would've actually recommended Parsec as the preferred desktop sharing software as opposed to RDC, Teamviewer, Logmein, etc. They 'work' but don't give OP what initially asked for. Low latency. Parsec based their software on NVIDIA's low latency protocol, and while most workstation applications may not "require" low or zero latency, high latency between the client and host can reduce production efficiency.