USRobotics 56*K USB Modem (Model 5637) - Capabilities? No voice?

silverzx

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hi guys, I appreciate this is an odd one as it's asking a question regarding a modem (which people don't tend to buy much these days but oh well, here it goes)!

I'm struggling to get my head around the specifications for the modem I've bought: USRobotics 56*K USB Modem (Model 5637). http://support.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5637

Is this a simple USB/Fax modem?

I have a database which I am reading constantly, when it receives a text message that meets X criteria I want to then dial out to the phone number the text message came from, record the entire phone call and save the recording to the hard drive for historical data.

Am I right in thinking the modem I've purchased isn't suitable for this?

I've been scratching my head for a couple of days now and haven't got anywhere other than being able to pick up the event and dial out to the number. Even then I can't get this modem to pick my microphone up so I'm assuming it isn't up to the job, I don't need to use my microphone as I already stated I simply want to just dial and record.

I'm primarily using C# and TAPI but am open to using any language providing it gets the job done. Java, C++, VB etc.

First things first, can anyone confirm that this modem isn't suitable and point me to one that is? Ideally it needs to be a USB modem as it's going to be connected to a blade server that has next to no room left in it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ddg4005

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You can update your modem to the latest firmware which supports voice. Just head to www.usr.com and check their support section (though you may have to search a bit. There's also a driver that supports Windows 8 through 10 as well).