[SOLVED] utorrent is gone and will not come back.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Hello,

I was torrenting last night. No issues.

Today; I go to use it and it won't open from the web. I try the shortcut; "Files moved or missing."

Search the PC; nothing.

Okay; download again. Done. Open. "Files moved or missing."

Lather, rise repeat.

What is going on?

Windows 7 for what it matters.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
did you try another client? it's not normal for something to just disappear like that so the first guess is something bad happening. have you tried installing anything else? try some random software to see what happens. you need to isolate what is happening, whether it is just utorrent, or all clients or any software at all and so on.
Dec 22, 2020
my guess is you downloaded a nice piece of malware along with whatever you were pirating. start doing some serious scanning and looking to se what you got infected with.

always playing with fire using that stuff and looks like you probably got burnt!!
Math maybe be right, try to scan your PC for viruses!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
did you try another client? it's not normal for something to just disappear like that so the first guess is something bad happening. have you tried installing anything else? try some random software to see what happens. you need to isolate what is happening, whether it is just utorrent, or all clients or any software at all and so on.

Solution
Funny you mention utorrent ... I couldn't access mine either starting today ... turns out the win security thing was blocking it ... just go in there and allow it to run if you know what I mean. Hopefully it's a false alarm but no guaranties on that!

Ralston18

Titan
I will add another suggestion:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Any error codes, warnings, or even informational events associated with utorrent?

Or perhaps any sort of entries that correspond with the utorrent failures , but do not specifically mention "utorrent"?

Doing a quick check online, it sounds like Malwarebytes and some other AV software added Utorrent to their block lists over a year ago year as a "potentially unwanted application" due to it coming with optional installers for other software that can be unchecked at install-time. That could of course have changed though, or perhaps your copy was acquired from somewhere else and is actually bundled with something unwanted, so you should check what they are actually listing as being detected.

USAFRet

Titan
I can't speak for the OP but in my case at least ... utorrent was installed years ago and used a fair bit with no issues ... it just seems odd to me it would suddenly be regarded as problematic.
Algorithms in the malware and AV tools change all the time.

Recently, I had to ditch BitDefender. It would not let me into my router admin console. Flagged as malicious/unsafe.