uTorrent Makes New Ads Optional

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I had BitTorrent and uTorrent installed to add the "important" to one and the "get later" on the other.

Since both are the same, as soon as I saw BitTorrent throw ads, I downloaded a uTorrent installer before it got infested with ads too and removed BitTorrent.

I have since, copied uTorrent ad-free installer in 4 different locations and will never update as long as ads are there.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]I had BitTorrent and uTorrent installed to add the "important" to one and the "get later" on the other.Since both are the same, as soon as I saw BitTorrent throw ads, I downloaded a uTorrent installer before it got infested with ads too and removed BitTorrent.I have since, copied uTorrent ad-free installer in 4 different locations and will never update as long as ads are there.[/citation]

Yeah, because these guys should all work for free making, testing and debugging this software? Ha ha FUCK EM!

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Yeah, because these guys should all work for free making, testing and debugging this software? Ha ha FUCK EM![/citation]

Actually, there is a big Donation button which I have used. So long as ads are there, though, they can make the donation button take up 95% of the program and I won't ever click it again.

p.s. Google, is that you? Justifying Ads, it must be.

A better way would be to make the ads "opt-in." Maybe have several types available for selection. Explain to people why they might want the ads (e.g. to hear a new artist, or learn of a new utility, etc) and then let them choose; but the default must be no ads.
I might want to hear some new music, or grab a game demo or DLC, but I don't need or want credit offers or restaurant coupons, all my body parts are the right size, and I have no interest in "dating" sites or seeing teens with farm animals.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
that useless adware for my "convenience" was the last straw i needed to finally delete utorrent. shame, cause i remember times where it was 200kb of pure greatness. qbittorrent is doing fine so far.

nitzero

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I am not sure why but I'm still using Vuze and also used uTorrent previously, tell me about bloatware, I better start using Opera's built in torrent engine.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
wouldn't mind an occasional ad or two, just don't overdo them. Also don't send ads update when i'm downloading. Only when i'm seeding.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Doesn't it seem pointless to put sponsored ads on a program primarily supported by those who are hell bent on not paying for the things they're downloading? I understand torrent programs are used by more than just pirates and that it's applications span further than simply stealing content but you'd be stupid to say that it's not it's primary use.

So again, why would you advertise (most likely) paid services on a program used to not pay for services and items?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Stopped using uBloat along time ago. It was once a great client, lightweight and very fast with all the features needed for a torrent client. It seems it is getting bulkier an slower for each version.

G

Hey guys, if you want to stop those new commercial ads on the newest version of utorrent , than you can do so during the installation of the utorrent. If you have utorrent already installed than you need to uninstall with an unistaller like revouninstaller.comto make sure that you remove it from your registry as well. And than while installing the utorrent you will see an option where it says something like: put or make an exception on windows firewall , make sure you uncheck that box and you will now not see any ads on utorrent again.
Hope this helps.

G

What is the last version of the software that doesn't have ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.