V5 6000 Not to be sold retail

G

It's official. The V5 6000 will not be sold retail, but will instead be sold to Quantum 3D. So the big question now is whether Rampage/Specter is emminent? It makes sense that they wouldn't want to release two premium products back to back.

http://www.3dfx.com/comp/news/rel-13nov.html

G

Why would voodoo do that? They must want to really be screwed in the high-end market by Nvidia. Although i do here rumors of a merger/aquistion between the two of them... *shrugs*

G

Well... Some may accuse me of irrational exuberance, but I do think it is because the release of rampage/specter is near.

In my mind, if I was to throw $600 down on the counter for a V5 6000 I would want the best video card that was available at the time. Now if 3dfx was to come out with a better card for less money within 2 months or so of releasing the 6K, I would be very upset. I spent $600 for what? I know it may sound strange, but I think 3dfx may have actually done hard core 3dfx fans a favor by canceling the 6k so that they wouldn't get burned like that. I hope I am right about the rampage.

G

Yeah, but nVidia will also come up with another generations of Geforce. It would very to compete with this now, maybe later. Anyway Geforce 2 Ultra rocks (for now) :cool:

G

I have no doubt that Nvidia will produce another fine card. I still have my old TNT2 Ultra in my machine and it runs fine. My main hope is that we could have Nvidia, 3dfx, and ATI all battling it out with quality high-end cards. That could only be good for us consumers.

G

VooDoo is DEAD and has been for a while. Don't
you guys get it?
Stick with MATROX and nVIDIA. Rooting for the underdog
is self-limiting and self-destructive when the underdog
has an inferior product like VooDoo's.

G

Hey,

I can see how 3Dfx would be doing gamers a favor by not releasing it, but it gets them screwed hardcore (pardon language). This gives Nvidia an opportunity to even winden the gap futher. All Nvidia needs to do is get the NV20 akak Geforce3 out, with a possibility of 256mb ram. Even 128 would be nice but they need something that hasn't been done, so as to not let 3Dfx get there foot back in the door.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)