[SOLVED] Vacuum blower to clean PC

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Hi, can i use the blower of my vacuum to push out the dust in my fan heat sink gpu and motherboard?

Solution
Vacuum cleaners are not a good idea. They tend to create a lot of static electricity which is bad for electronics. Compressed air, either from a can or from an air compressor, is what you want to use.

Most vacuums with "blower" functions, do not push enough air out to do much good in any case. If yours actually has a "blower" function, you can try it, but it's doubtful it will have enough pressure to really do the job well. Especially if it's somewhat packed in there from not having been cleaned in a while.
Vacuum cleaners are not a good idea. They tend to create a lot of static electricity which is bad for electronics. Compressed air, either from a can or from an air compressor, is what you want to use.

Most vacuums with "blower" functions, do not push enough air out to do much good in any case. If yours actually has a "blower" function, you can try it, but it's doubtful it will have enough pressure to really do the job well. Especially if it's somewhat packed in there from not having been cleaned in a while.

Solution

watchdogx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012

Please don't laugh too hard if this is a ridiculous idea... Given that ESD is conquered by grounding, would wrapping a wire around a vacuum accessory and grounding it to the chassis or metal body of the vacuum prevent any buildup of static electricity? Even with the little brushes, wrap wire once around the bristles close to where they meet the plastic (so it won't scratch anything)?

Yeah, you could.

But I would still NOT recommend it because the potential for serious damage still exists. You might mitigate the risk somewhat, but it is still there. At least with compressed air, you are not going to create this sort of problem and if you can't afford six bucks for a can of compressed air, and don't know anybody with an air compressor that you can use, there are certainly other ways of cleaning your internals.

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah, you could.

But I would still NOT recommend it because the potential for serious damage still exists. You might mitigate the risk somewhat, but it is still there. At least with compressed air, you are not going to create this sort of problem and if you can't afford six bucks for a can of compressed air, and don't know anybody with an air compressor that you can use, there are certainly other ways of cleaning your internals.
Its just that I am bored in this quarantine and want to clean my computer, stores that sells compressor is closed. :/ I will follow your advice.

No Fred. That doesn't change the fact that the mere USE of the vacuum, in ANY close proximity to the computer and it's components, puts them at risk. It is the sucking up of dust and debris and that stuff banging into each other and the internal sides of the vacuum hoses that creates the charge and it does not necessarily need to be in direct contact with a component to zap it. Static electricity can definitely jump small gaps. It's a bad idea all the way around. Not worth the risk.