Vaio laptop : "operating system not found"

hangry95

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hello everyone

I know the title isn'nt very clear so I'll be a little more specific. It's a vaio PCG-91211M and when I boot it up I get a blackscreen with the message "operating system not found". I can't install windows 10 on it because for all partitions (even when the drive is formatted and all partition cleared) windows says the os cant be intall on it because of the GPT.

Since it's not my pc and my works fine, I installed windows 10 on the sony drive from my own laptop and it worked fine. I also put my laptop's drive inside the vaio and I get the same result.

After installing a fresh windows ans testing it on my laptop I put it back inside the vaio and nothing changed.

I saw some things about switch the SATA controller to IDE instead of AHCI but the BIOS is completely locked. I can only change date and time and boot order. I could maybe reinstall the AHCI driver but I have no idea how to do so.

TL;DR
-vaio boot : operating system not found
-can't install win 10 : Problem with GPT
-install on sony drive from other PC --> works fine
-put it back in vaio --> same thing
- please help ^^

I'm quite handy with tech issues but I'm stuck on this one since I don't understand the cause.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hi there hangry95,

You can't really install Win on one machine, install the drive to another and expect a flawless boot. Both machines have different hardware. So, you need to install the OS while the drive is attached to the Vaio.
Obviously, it seems that the drive is initialized as GPT, and the laptop doesn't like that. My suggestion would be to attach the problematic drive to another machine as a secondary drive -> Initialize it as MBR -> partition and format it -> install it in the Vaio and try to perform an OS install.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Ajinkya32

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Enter system installing interface by using Win 7 disc or USB hard drive boot. and then press “Shift”+”F10” to open the command prompt.
Input “Diskpart” (do not input quotation mark, the following as well), and then press “Enter”to enter operating interface.
Input “list disk”: to check hard disk properties. Pay more attention to capacity of hard disk to select. Usually, disk0 is hard disk, and disk 1 is the usb dirve where wins 7 install.
Input “select disk 0”: to select disk 0 as the disk that is operating.
Input “clean”: to clean up current hard disk’s partition.
Input “convert mbr”: to convert GPT into MBR. Input “create partition primary size = xxx”: to create the size of primary partition.
Input “format fs = ntfs quick”: to format disk to NTFS quickly.
Input “exit”: to finish operating.
Input “exit”: to shut down the command prompt.

then restart ur laptop and try to install windows.

hangry95

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
as I said, I already installed windows on the drive, just from another pc. and before I installed it I did clean all the partitions.
Windozs is installed ont the drive, and works fine when plugged in another PC.

Hi there hangry95,

You can't really install Win on one machine, install the drive to another and expect a flawless boot. Both machines have different hardware. So, you need to install the OS while the drive is attached to the Vaio.
Obviously, it seems that the drive is initialized as GPT, and the laptop doesn't like that. My suggestion would be to attach the problematic drive to another machine as a secondary drive -> Initialize it as MBR -> partition and format it -> install it in the Vaio and try to perform an OS install.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

Ajinkya32

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
yes D_know_WD is right. both the machines are different so you cant expect same results on both the machines. just attach the drive to another working machine and then convert it to MBR. After conversion attach it back to vaio and try to install.