[SOLVED] Value of a crt monitor

Feb 26, 2021
Found a Datatrain model dc509 manufactured in august 1990 monitor. Barely used, not its in original box.

kanewolf

Titan
I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. How did you arrive to this conclusion.
It is only "worth" something is someone wants to buy it. CRTs are not desired by many today. So it is probably "worthless" because nobody wants to buy it.
It is a "liability" because it is big and heavy and contains lead. It is considered "hazardous waste" many place.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 19" CRT. Recently discovered under a bunch of junk in a corner in the garage. Also from the late 90's.

It will likely go to the city recycling.
There are a couple of semi-local shops that advertise on craigslist...they will take it for free, if I deliver.

Found a Datatrain model dc509 manufactured in august 1990 monitor. Barely used, not its in original box.
Show the inputs and the label it has on the back, plug it in and see if it shows anything, should display a menu and or a no signal.

If it's a simple VGA monitor then nobody is going to care.
If it can go down to 15kHz it's going to have at least some appeal in the retro computing market.

Usually these goes to electronic recycling scrap yards. General public except retrogaming fans have no interest in CRTs. Not suitable even for post-nuclear war computing because only EMP shielded tube circuitry and special radiation hardened chips will remain operative.

USAFRet

Titan
grrr.....my city electronic recycling doesn't even want it.
Goodwill doesn't want it either.

"Unwanted electronic waste other than CRT (tube) TVs and monitors can also be delivered to Goodwill ....."

Bulk trash will take it, but that just ends up in the landfill with everything else. :non:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, definitely don't give it to Goodwill! It will literally cost them money to dump. Ask your local recycling and if not, bulk trash unless you want to hang it on until you die, at which time your relatives will send it to bulk trash anyway.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
For retro gamers (like me) it's usually the larger 15khz capable CRT monitors that have value today. Broadcast monitors like the Sony PVM /BVM range, large presentation displays like the Nec XM29 and arcade monitors etc.

PC CRT monitors usually won't sync below 31khz and they usually have a pitch that's too fine for old games.

Larger Crt PC monitors have some value for retro gamers for consoles like the Dreamcast, PS2 and original Xbox which can output 480p for some games. I'd personally have no interest in anything less than a 19" visible (and useable) screen though.

Still, any crt monitor above 14" is worth putting on eBay. Add "retro gaming* or "great for bartop arcade" to the listing and you'll probably find a buyer if you're not greedy.

No Color working CRT monitor should be thrown away while there's still demand. There are things that can only be done on CRT. I'd personally choose to do all gaming on a CRT if I could find one of equivalent size.

CRT is a lot better than LCD in image quality, motion resolution, contrast, lag, response, color etc.

D

Deleted member 14196

Lol. the value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay you for it and that will vary from person to person based on their needs

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
ebay?
Just the shipping will be $100, including packaging it.

That's true and people will pay that (and more) for the right monitor. I paid $200 to get my Ikegami TM20-90rh 20" CRT shipped to me.

A lot of CRT monitor listings are pick-up only if the monitor in question is not worth shipping. There is a huge difference in desirability between an NEC XM2950 and an old 14" gateway PC monitor.

The buyer drove 1200 miles to pick up his monitor when I sold my Nec XM2950 on ebay.

The prices on 15khz capable crt monitors with RGB input have been going up (a lot) in recent years. It's a mistake to think nobody wants them because they're old and heavy.

20" PC CRT monitors are selling on eBay for $300-$500 these days.