Valve Announces SteamVR, Teases Steam Controller and SteamOS For GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ning3n

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Seems like Valve is trying to garner more e-support for their previous failure of the Steam Machine, and SteamOS. The addition of "Steam VR" just tops the cake with 10,000 "spacebook" likes.

I'm not interested.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Seems like Valve is trying to garner more e-support for their previous failure of the Steam Machine, and SteamOS.

7/10 Troll bait, I replied.

Anyway, I'm most excited about Valve's talks concerning their new game engine presentations using glNext. I hope its Source 2 they're talking about and it's near ready for release. It'd be awesome to see the Source 2 engine released with glNext support from the beginning. And I'm drooling over the thought of them porting some of their older games over to the Source 2 engine.... mmm, Team Fortress 2 utilizing glNext on the Source 2 engine. :drool:

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
"popularity of Oculus"
Popularity on something that doesn't exist outside of developers' world mind you with no real games outside of godawful looking ones that have its support.

And now its yet another company with more promises.... oh wait, it is the company that consists of promises, so nothing changed here.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
What i really want is an industry standard for VR. To ensure that no matter what manufacturer your device is, games will be compatible. And hopefully, it will also include options for controllers like gloves, lightguns...etc

Because as it stands now, games are either programmed with support of a VR device in mind, or require to use a hack that doesn't always work well (ask the owners of the Oculus Rift dev kit)

tastyKake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I really hope Valve doesn't come out at GDC saying we've just come out with support for VR. I understand they are now releasing hardware kits, but Valve has had VR support since the release of SDK 2013. Every developer knows that, so I really hope they don't try to insult people looking to use their engine just to gain some hype to sling back to advertise their new OS or controller and never actually develop anything.

I don't exactly understand why 2 years ago they implemented VR into their engine, and never actually updated one of their games to showcase it. According to the laws of Valve Time, if it took them 2 years to announce a timetable for development, we might not see it for a while... See Valve Time
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

SteamOS was a counter to the rumor that Microsoft was going to lockdown Windows 8 with their market place. That seems to be false in Windows 10, and I think that's why interest in weaning in the need for a Steam OS.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Yep, the fake rumour that Windows would marginalise Steam has never proved true and never will. SteamOS promised a lot, but has been promising for 2 years. Time to deliver on that vaporware promise.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Seems like Valve is trying to garner more e-support for their previous failure of the Steam Machine, and SteamOS. The addition of "Steam VR" just tops the cake with 10,000 "spacebook" likes.

I'm not interested.

Yeah they failed just like the 2025 corvette failed to sell too. Valve hasnt released the steam machines yet, so if you are surprised they sold zero systems, maybe now you understand why.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

SteamOS has never needed Steam Machines, so what is the delay?

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I want a $400 steam machine that performs 2x the PS4 and has a controller standard. My only issue is how good will it be as a TV media device for a family??

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

Then install Kodi

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
What i really want is an industry standard for VR. To ensure that no matter what manufacturer your device is, games will be compatible. And hopefully, it will also include options for controllers like gloves, lightguns...etc

Because as it stands now, games are either programmed with support of a VR device in mind, or require to use a hack that doesn't always work well (ask the owners of the Oculus Rift dev kit)

There are most definitely efforts to that effect. We've covered them:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/immerive-technology-alliance-virtual-reality-standards,28322.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/razer-announces-new-osvr-developers,28535.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS