Valve Beta Testing Local Game Streaming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
if they could get a multi-core multi GPU work on diff steam accounts that would be useful.

For ex.
Player no1, Play game A that only use dual core, 1GPU
Player no2. Play game B use other 2 CPU cores, another GPU.

Otherwise is rather pointless, I might as well game directly on that machine.

How is it pointless to stream say Injustice: Gods Among Us to a low end HTPC like I have with a HD5450?

That's the whole point to it. To be able to stream it to low end devices so you don't have to have a high end gaming PC on your TV or even a high end gaming laptop.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It's an interesting initiative. I might consider this for playing from my HTPC for example -- it already has a mouse and a keyboard and is attached to a receiver (hopefully this includes sound as well). Not sure this would work well with my Surface Pro tablet, however -- I'd likely need to attach a mouse to it first.

mmohon

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I'd prefer a roku style device running steam os in my living room with a keyboard/mouse or controller. It'd be a dream come true for me.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
"Otherwise is rather pointless, I might as well game directly on that machine."

1. I can think of a few reasons to justify the 1 to 1 setup working. First are foremost you can move all the wires, noise, and heat out into the garage. Also you can do a rebuild on your rig out there instead of making a giant mess in your kitchen/livingroom/bedroom. Important once you have a significant other who already hates the gaming you do and the gaming rig you have.

2. Would you rather have your 5 year old, roommate, parent, etc that is going to trash your gaming rig because of the stupid things they do/install/download or would you rather they mess up their old laptop instead?
3. The ability to pick up and go else where in the house to game is badly needed without having to haul all your gear with you. Guests sleeping in the guest room aka your computer den where your rig lives? You want to go "work" in the garage and get away from the family? Want to play games with your kids/friends in the livingroom?

I'd love to be able to put one or many rigs out in the garage and to be able to support a virtual OS on a hardware light device, but I'll take a 1 for 1 streaming over nothing at all.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

I have a family and so don't always have access to my gaming PCs (I have 2). In fact I frequently don't have access to either of my PCs.

Gaming PC number 1 is a regular desktop in my bedroom and is often pinched by my daughter to watch Netflix.

Gaming PC number 2 is a HTPC in my living room connected to my plasma - and the plasma is often used by my wife to watch TV.

I can use PC number 2 to stream games onto my (core 2 duo / Intel GMA 4500) laptop when the TV is in use.

I can use either PC to stream games onto my laptop so I can play in bed.

May 2, 2013
Oh this is good... Maintaining just one rig and have the ability to stream games to low power laptops... yumm.

I have my gaming computer hooked up to my wired network but my laptop is wireless... I hope lag won't kill the whole thing...

IB

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I just still have a hard time believing that this magical utopia of gaming that Valve is promising is going to happen the way they're promising, but maaaaaaaaaaan, I really hope it does. I cannot wait to get my hands on this software. I live to play 4x games while watching TV with my wife, but there's only so many my laptop can run....this would change everything.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

It should do, this technology already exists and works, examples:

I already stream games this way using Splashtop from my desktop to my laptop - the limitation of Splashtop though is that a) it doesn't support full screen games so you have to hope your game has a borderless window option or put up with ugly borders and b) it doesn't support control pads, only kb and mouse. I regularly use Splashtop to stream LOTRO onto my laptop.

Nvidia Gamestream/Shield

Sony Remote Play between their consoles and handhelds.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Brilliant idea and gaming concept Steam. It reminds me of NVIDIA's Shield except I'm not limited to using an ugly ass tablet attached to an imitation Xbox controller

The PERFECT SOLUTION to me would be this:
1) $100 or less
2) HDMI and DVI outputs
3) Ethernet and wi-fi (ethernet is best) inputs
4) 3xUSB (for controllers and wi-fi)

I guess it will end up being the low-end Steambox, but I'd like to see something LESS expensive that just does the basic job of communicating with the main PC and handling the video streaming and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.