Valve Confirms Linux-based Steam Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
This could be the tipping point Linux needs in order to be a full fledged gaming specialized OS at least in Valve's Linux distribution and implementation.

Windows is so generalized and multipurpose, but very proprietary and not designed so much with modular aspect in mind for standard users which I think somewhat takes away from achieving some of it's performance potential.

With better developer support it's my belief Linux could certainly be a better gaming OS environment due to the fact it's not proprietary and is open source and as such can be tweaked and tuned accordingly to users individual needs, but without all the bundled excess fluff a proprietary OS like Windows or Mac for example includes.

It would also probably benefit developers too because I imagine ports from Android would be relatively simple compared to Windows or Mac based ports since it's based off Linux in the first place.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
The biggest issue with Linux still is that there are no distros that are really friendly to end users. Somebody needs to make one where you never really need to go to the command prompt in order to do any common task that needs to be done in Linux. Then it can be considered ready for prime time.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I know Gabe Newell has said they already have a new Engine developed they are just waiting for games to roll it out on, you would have to think Half-life 3, counter strike..etc will be used to push the new system?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]The biggest issue with Linux still is that there are no distros that are really friendly to end users. Somebody needs to make one where you never really need to go to the command prompt in order to do any common task that needs to be done in Linux. Then it can be considered ready for prime time.[/citation] Honestly I think a lot of that is probably just due to the fact people are much more familiarized and user savvy when it comes to Windows.

I blame workplaces and school systems for not teaching kids how to operate Linux the same way they do for Mac and Windows.

I imagine adoption rates would probably skyrocket if that were to happen because it would no longer seem so foreign and since a broader user base would understand how it works there would be a lot less self learning involved as well when you do need help with something.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Do you think Valve should give out the latest Source engine and dev tools free to developers who want to develop for the box?

[citation][nom]article[/nom]"the hardware lab has some secret projects that will be released in 2013. We have a good grop of electronic- and mechanics-engineers and we are glad to build some really cool things."[/citation]
*crosses fingers*
please be a portal gun!

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I really think Valve are misreading the market. They don't seem to understand the console market and PC market are too very separate sets of users, a steam box won't be competing with windows 8, it will be competing with the WiiU/XboxXXX/PSX and that will be a far harder sell.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]The biggest issue with Linux still is that there are no distros that are really friendly to end users.[/citation]

Well then it's on par with the OS that comes with every new PC at the moment isn't it ;)

G

I can't wait for Steam to come to Linux, that will be reason enough for me to finally leave Windows. As a gamer, this has been the main thing holding me back. I'm very interested in Arch Linux.

By the way, does anyone think there will be desktop Linux distribution specialized for Steam?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]gravewax[/nom]I really think Valve are misreading the market. They don't seem to understand the console market and PC market are too very separate sets of users, a steam box won't be competing with windows 8, it will be competing with the WiiU/XboxXXX/PSX and that will be a far harder sell.[/citation]

I think Valve is on the right track. If you look at it full fledged PCs are starting to become a niche market. Take a device with open low cost hardware, a free fully developed OS, and add the functionality people need. If Valve ads HTPC and light Office capability to this thing it could really take off. Steam already syncs to the cloud and across systems so they're more than halfway there. Remember Valve was a game developer and then decided to venture into the realm of digital distribution where it competed with the likes of Microsoft, EA, Activision, and others. People said they would fail. Guess what, they're one of the largest distributors around.

G

[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]The biggest issue with Linux still is that there are no distros that are really friendly to end users. Somebody needs to make one where you never really need to go to the command prompt in order to do any common task that needs to be done in Linux. Then it can be considered ready for prime time.[/citation]
Ubuntu and Mint, maybe? You don't need console at all.

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Very interested in seeing how this helps Linux with gaming compatibility. Will be watching this closely.

This could be the tipping point Linux needs in order to be a full fledged gaming specialized OS at least in Valve's Linux distribution and implementation.

ugh...

playstation 2 and 3 are technically linux boxes as well....

how exactly is this supposed to "help linux"?

The problem with linux historically is the lack of high quality drivers. This has gotten better but I doubt this or any other console with solve this basic need.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]Please bring PC gamers a decent wireless pad that doesn't cost a load or take old school AA batteries.[/citation]

Any controller that doesn't take AA batteries is not truly wireless. Until such time as a controller is developed that charges through a charging pad extremely quickly, AA batteries will still be the best option.

I personally hate Lithium Ion batteries and all their predecessors. They take forever to charge and don't last as long as a pair of AAs. Their only unique benefit is that they can be built into whatever shape people need them, which can also be a detriment given the proprietary nature of technology.

If it runs out of charge, you have to plug it in to something, which tethers you to that something. If a AA battery dies you just have to swap it out, which takes all of two minutes.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bpislife[/nom]ugh...playstation 2 and 3 are technically linux boxes as well....how exactly is this supposed to "help linux"? The problem with linux historically is the lack of high quality drivers. This has gotten better but I doubt this or any other console with solve this basic need.[/citation]
it should help linux by being an open sourced os. PS3 may be some linux distro, but its incompatible to our x86 pcs and the OS isnt distributed openly. at least, I hope the OS is open and x86 compatible.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]gravewax[/nom]I really think Valve are misreading the market. They don't seem to understand the console market and PC market are too very separate sets of users, a steam box won't be competing with windows 8, it will be competing with the WiiU/XboxXXX/PSX and that will be a far harder sell.[/citation]

What do you think the point is? The PC and console scenes are not as divided as they used to be before XBox came out. Linux is the obvious choice just for price concerns, they want to have a box priced at console levels. I'm sure the enthusiasts here will cry at Valve for betraying their trust or whatever, but get over it. The console market has a lot of customers so devs prefer to make games for it. This could entice more devs to build directly for the Steam platform instead of just porting console titles towards it. It could also lead to more console players buying from Steam instead of other console ecosystems, leading to a stronger PC economy.

There's a lot of companies trying to force their way into the console scene now though. They're going to learn it isn't that easy to compete, just like Atari, Panasonic, Philips, and many others have learned.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
after some thought making another comment:

steam has said this will be a pc and a console, but it wont be a pc and console at the same time. this brings me to believe that theyre really working on an OS. and they are working on an x86 console apart, probably non upgradable. the OS may be distributed openly like steam is.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]Please bring PC gamers a decent wireless pad that doesn't cost a load or take old school AA batteries.[/citation]I like AA batteries. You can take them out and pop the rechargeable ones in a charger while you use other ones. In a bind, you can get a pair just about anywhere

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

What's the POINT?

If the Steam box ran on Windows 8 and had at least an HD7770 graphics then they could just LINK the entire menu from the Start Screen.

PORTING CONFUSION:
Game ports will be very few. Since you can NOT use Microsoft's DirectX and have to essentially REWRITE that stuff (and have permission from the developer) there's no feasible way to do this.

HDTV:
This is NOT a desktop PC. It's designed to sit where a gaming console sits and compete with the consoles.

So, Gabe wants someone to buy a device that's nowhere near as good as the new XBOX/PS4 with limited games? Come on, I just saw a PS3 for $200 that could play game, BluRay, Netflix...

NVIDIA's new portable "Shield" device runs Android and can also stream your computer's (GTX6xx graphics) games through it to the screen or to an HDTV.

The STEAM BOX is a completely POINTLESS device that I wouldn't use if you gave it to me for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.