Valve Demos Steam Controller with Portal 2, CS:GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
You`ll get eaten alive in fps games vs mouse users... Still don`t get it why they take a perfectly accurate device like the mouse and try to make it something else... This pad is similar to what you currently have on touch screen phones while playing FPS games.. tried it once and totally hated it

Gerry Allen

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Note that it took two swipes to do a 360...a great way to get killed early and often. Still, early days yet; it might get better with further optimization.

You make it sound like you can't alter sensitivity in any way

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Really all of the comments above. Get real people. Comparing to mouse and keyboard setup? Really? It feels like u compare a lambo and a vw beetle in a drag race. There are tons of people playing CoD on Xbox 360 using gamepad. With ur comments above, why should they bother using gamepad then? Play it on a PC.
But that is not the case, this demo is to show you that the gamepad is accurate enough to be a replacement for a mouse and a keyboard setup. Also in my opinion it is even better than playing a fps game with gamepad. Those are 2 things u should compare, apple to apple, a gamepad with a gamepad. And they did mention that the Steam Machine will be compatible with keyboard and mouse, still want to make kids comment like "way to get killed early on fps"?

I think a determined person can adapt to anything. I know plenty of gamers with MS, the use of only one hand, and Ectrodactyly (split hand, cleft hand or lobster claw hand). I'm just glad there are alternatives for everyone to find what works best in their situations.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@ferooxidan, yes, we compare it to keyboard and mouse, since they are both input devices also, so what if you have a console ? Couldn`t they just make a mini "keyboard" that would have the WASD + space + shift combination (nostromo like but much cheaper) and let you put a mouse to your console ? For best gameplay on FPS games ? Yes, it is better than a traditional gamepad but for FPS there are even better input devices that are totally ignored when it comes to consoles for no obvious reasons... they tried unified BF3 servers... console players couldn`t keep up with PC players and they separated them... instead of making 2 different servers they could just implement mouse to all...

In the beginning the PS3 was to have mouse/keyboard support for gaming.
But in their testing mouse/keyboard players were much better than controller users.
They decided to end support for keyboard/mouse as it would ruin the experience for casual gamers using a controller. Always losing to mouse/keyboard users.
This was published a long time ago.
I think the only game to receive m/k support was CS.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
The point of this is not to "replace" the mouse an keyboard, but to offer a better solution to playing PC games on the couch than using the joystick based crappy PS and Xbox controllers.

The main issue is that games are designed on the PC specifically for mouse and keyboard. Often times you have to use 3rd party programs like Xpadder to get a controller to work, and even then it sucks. This new control address that issue extremely well. It isn't supposed to be "superior" or "an upgrade" to the mouse and keyboard. It's a livingroom friendly alternative.

Sure, if you bring one of these to a CS, CoD or Battlefield LAN, you're gunna get smoked hard, but again, that's not the point.

The point is to bring the PC into the living room.

viliu24

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
nice presentation , cs train , portal (no fast skill required), civ where u fell a sleep. You should put there some mario, candy crush and temple run...... Give us some real life usage in multiplayer fps , rts, racing etc.. I havent tried and i cant tell how good it is , it may be better than a controller but is hard to belive that is replacement for kb+mouse setup. I like the idea of a better controller but why some people try to reinvent the wheel. CS GO is the best example why you can compare controller with kb+mouse since CS GO started as a project that will be a revolutionary game where people from pc will meet people from consoles , so in the end we end up with a nice game with crappy console menus and no crossplatform fighting

viliu24

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
nice presentation , cs train , portal (no fast skill required), civ where u fell a sleep. You should put there some mario, candy crush and temple run...... Give us some real life usage in multiplayer fps , rts, racing etc.. I havent tried and i cant tell how good it is , it may be better than a controller but is hard to belive that is replacement for kb+mouse setup. I like the idea of a better controller but why some people try to reinvent the wheel. CS GO is the best example why you can compare controller with kb+mouse since CS GO started as a project that will be a revolutionary game where people from pc will meet people from consoles , so in the end we end up with a nice game with crappy console menus and no crossplatform fighting

I agree but its an interesting idea. No one else has really innovated gamepads for years. Since the first dual shock they have been pretty much the same.

This will be interesting to see how well it works with games meant to have controllers like platformers.

Seems a lot of people are missing the point. its not meant to replace a mouse! its just so you have something you can sit back and relax on your lounge with. I use a Logitech F710 controller from time to time for some games on my TV, its fine for RPG's and emulators. The only flaw i see for steam controller is for racing games, where an analog stick is necessary. I'm sure they could put an analog stick on the controller, make it like the old N64 controllers with one in the middle.

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013

Why should we compare the accuracy of this to a gamepad? a steam box is a PC, and as such if you play it using the gamepad that comes with it, you'll be facing people who use a mouse and keyboard in multiplayer games. If everyone were to use a gamepad on PC, then sure, I wouldn't mind. But when you'll be decimated in CS:GO or BO2 because you failed to react fast enough just because of your steambox gamepad compared to the trusty mouse and keyboard that your opponents use, then you'll realize that there is truly a problem.
It's a very nice try to make PC gaming more accessible, to be used in a living room environment. And while I was suprised with how accurate and natural it seemed to feel for the person in the video, I remain skeptical about how this can be used in competitive multiplayer gaming (And I really don't even mean pro level)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

youre still missing the point though. sure, pcs are most usually played with mouse and keyboard at all times, but this is NOT the case in the living room. what valve is trying to do is make the pc a viable option for gaming on your big tv. because really, playing with mouse and keyboard on tv isnt a good option. for playing fps and strategy games, this is superior to traditional gamepads.

this is not trying to be better than mouse and keyboard, JUST trying a better solution for certain pc games on your tv.

Also, I would strongly disagree with people saying youd get "decimated" by pc gamers with mouses. it is very similar to mouse in fact because it relies on very precise movements. its not like analog sticks where you move a little and it keeps going. with mouse its the wrist and with this its the thumb. it just takes getting used to.

overdlord

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
What ferooxidan and bustapr missed in the actrical was "tech allows gamers to aim and shoot without any kind of auto-aim help." end quote. People don't realize that counsel's have to use tons of auto aiming programing to make the playable with game pads. A joy stick was made for pac-man and pong not a 3D shooter. That why mice and controllers don't play together. One got better accuracy and the other needs aim assist or or sticky aim to play. Whit out it the games would not be as playable or fun. Just do a web search if you don't agree. Here some info on it.

There are four types of assisted aiming in console games: Snapping, Friction, Acceleration, and Magnetism.

1. Magnetism defines and outlines how far a bullet will "bend" in order to hit an enemy. Bullets and projectiles do not necessarily travel in a straight path; they will curve very slightly in order to hit a target. Different projectiles will experience different curvatures.

2. Snapping reorients the gun barrels toward enemies whenever a player's reticle are in proximity to their target.

3. Acceleration makes it so that when the player pegs their aiming stick in one direction the player's reticle will start moving slowly in that direction then pick up speed.

4. Friction slows the player's turn rate as soon as their reticule passes over an enemy. What it does is that it slows your top speed, and then dramatically decrease the rate at which the crosshair will slow down when you release the stick.

Here a few link and a video about controller auto aim being demonstrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaom3cdZv1c

http://www.halopedia.org/Aim-Assist

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
This is a brilliant design and concept.
The above demo showed non optimised legacy mode and pad accuracy.
It also showed dual track pad mode that improves on mouse control.
As to stupid statements about 360 turns, put down the pipe and get real there are 16 programmable clicks including the trackpad clicks.
It is a given that games will support this controler very soon.
I have purchased many innovative controllers/keyboards even the DOOM GUN (Demon Gun), sometimes just to encourage the innovation as I just had a feeling the product like the SpaceOrb, which was cool for Descent and Doom.
BTW the SpaceOrb does have a following
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheBestControllerForFPSASpaceTecSpaceOrb360ControllerWorkingWithWindows7UsingArduinoAndOrbShield.aspx

My point is can we back off just a little with the lame snap judgments of new product releases until some actual production reviews come out.

--end rant--

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I don't believe this is intended as a "mouse replacement" this specifically would find using with a steam box or for those who prefer to game from their living room couch, where a keyboard and mouse simply isn't very convenient.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

unreal tournament too... it also got mods if i remember right.

than bring the keyboard mouse on a table, its not that hard.
xpadder also works great, though you have to know how to set it up right

there is a reason, i would rather have thumbsticks than a track pad.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
" In the beginning the PS3 was to have mouse/keyboard support for gaming.
But in their testing mouse/keyboard players were much better than controller users.
They decided to end support for keyboard/mouse as it would ruin the experience for casual gamers using a controller. Always losing to mouse/keyboard users.
This was published a long time ago.
I think the only game to receive m/k support was CS. "

This is fuckings stupid. So you are telling me that because of couch gamers I'm forced to skip on good console only FPS games like The Last of us (I cannot play a FPS on a controller it makes me angry) ? That is just retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.