Valve Details Upcoming Improvements for Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulrider4ever

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Now if only they would ever respond to support requests... I have one that's 4 days old and no response. Other than that, this is great news.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Nice, sensible improvements to an already great service... I just hope they will soon allow installing on more than 1 hard drive, like if you want to utilize your ssd only for a limited selection of games...

G

I have heard that you can move specific games to a differnt drive/folder and use the mklink command to "link" it back in the steam folder. Have yet to try it as of yet. Waiting for the ssd to come in :)

4745454b

Titan
Finally, Bandwidth throttling. I used a program many years back that would show me all my individual programs traffic and allow me to limit each one. I really wish this was built into windows itself. Thank you Valve for finally building this into the Steam.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Sounds great. I know Steam was taking a beating during the summer sale. Would have been nice if they had done this before having the sale, but whatever, at least they did it.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Good. Now how about reducing the prices on games on Steam? Especially your own ones Steam. In Switzerland it's cheaper to buy a Valve game retail than on Steam...quite the scam really when they don't have any middle man cost, no material cost, no packaging cost and no delivery cost except minor bandwidth.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]Nice, sensible improvements to an already great service... I just hope they will soon allow installing on more than 1 hard drive, like if you want to utilize your ssd only for a limited selection of games...[/citation]

[citation][nom]tjf311[/nom]@techsevenYou can already do that using the 3rd party app Game Save Manager 2[/citation]

I think he's looking for more something like this.

http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]Good. Now how about reducing the prices on games on Steam? Especially your own ones Steam. In Switzerland it's cheaper to buy a Valve game retail than on Steam...quite the scam really when they don't have any middle man cost, no material cost, no packaging cost and no delivery cost except minor bandwidth.[/citation]

I don't know if that has to do directly with Valve. The prices for their games ( as well as most games on Steam) are retarded cheap to begin with. And then you have the sales to top it off.

G

When I saw Improvement to Steam, I thought it meant they were shutting down their services and liquidating their assets...

G

And the whole reason they did this is cuz of the Witcher 2 having a 9GB file that had to be reinstalled every time an update went out.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]Good. Now how about reducing the prices on games on Steam? Especially your own ones Steam. In Switzerland it's cheaper to buy a Valve game retail than on Steam...quite the scam really when they don't have any middle man cost, no material cost, no packaging cost and no delivery cost except minor bandwidth.[/citation]
most of steams big sales have the valve collection and most of their games at 75% off, and sometimes more, and even give their games for free. The valve games on steam are really stupidly cheap for such quality games, and as for reducing other games prices, they do that every day. And if you missed summer camp, I feel sorry for you since you missed out on the best sale Ive seen ever, and a free decent game...

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Anyone else concerned of an impending hack on Steam? I hate having to go through these types of services. Why not just let me play the freaking game? Why do you have to keep track? If I didn't have to use Steam I'd get more Valve titles. But for now the only ones I've picked up (not through Steam) are Half Life and Half Life 2.

markso125

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Hmm makes you wonder if this new implementation system they have devised is part of the reason why EA pulled BF3 from steam. With the new tool requirements put forth to developers it makes you wonder how much shared data is required between the developers(ie how much of EA's new Frostbite 2 code is required to be given to Valve for tool integration) to make the new steam work.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
would be nice if they could also implement multiplayer servers for non valve games, i used to play spiral knights but as soon as i got to tier 3 stages the lag would get me killed...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Solid improvements, but when will we be able to play a game while a new one is simultaneously downloading? I can't stand how Steam pauses new game downloads if you start playing any currently installed game.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]soulrider4ever[/nom]Now if only they would ever respond to support requests... I have one that's 4 days old and no response. Other than that, this is great news.[/citation]

Even better when they arbitrarily close it on you unsolved. I have had some tech support instances where the answers they send you seen obviously canned, or their tech support is completely brain-dead, or both.

I had an instance with them where they were overcharging sales tax (same state). I had to threaten reporting them/legal action before they would refund what they owed me.

After doing so...
1 - I received my owed refund for a purchase.
2 - System now charges correct sales tax.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
[citation][nom]chrisjust98[/nom]I don't know if that has to do directly with Valve. The prices for their games ( as well as most games on Steam) are retarded cheap to begin with. And then you have the sales to top it off.[/citation]

I don't really agree with you yes their sales are great and now that they have a different sale everyday I have bought more games from them but take for instance Homefront still a new game and it's being sold on STEAM for 49.99 guess what the price is at Gamestop, Bestbuy, Target or any other retailer that when you bought it you would get a nice box a manual and a DVD that's right 49.99 not it being digital we all know that there is not overhead for making the box, manual, DVD ect so pass that savings on to the customer I mean it just makes scene your not getting as much when you buy it in retail

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
They should take advantage of torrent protocols for big releases.

The servers have been whacked with all the F2P games recently, but with torrent the more people hit it for downlaod the faster it would be for everyone.

It such a no-brainer I don't know why everyone doesn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.