Valve Job Posting Confirms Plans for Making Own Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]While you're at creating a new console, where's our HL2 Ep3 or HL3?[/citation]

that will be a launch title, how else will they get everyone with a pc to get this?

If what they are doing is going to basically be a PC at heart but with a set specification etc i could see this going well as it will make pc gaming homogenous with console gaming as the game would be the same, just if it detects the console pc it will use a specific rendering path etc and the pc version can be the full deal with maximum graphical control and your bog standard pc game scheme etc.

G

>> that will be a launch title, how else will they get everyone with a pc to get this?

Everyone minus 1. That would be the day I bought a console because I wanted to play HL2 Ep3. Moreover, an HL2 Ep3 that was an exclusive to said console! I'd just stick it to the Man. I don't need another company moving to console exclusives.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]If what they are doing is going to basically be a PC at heart but with a set specification etc i could see this going well as it will make pc gaming homogenous with console gaming as the game would be the same, just if it detects the console pc it will use a specific rendering path etc and the pc version can be the full deal with maximum graphical control and your bog standard pc game scheme etc.[/citation]
it's called ps3 with linux.

[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]it's called ps3 with linux.[/citation]

That does not mean it can play games due to the ps3 using a completely different processor architecture, as long as they make their system based on x86 then the homogenous software can work if written correctly.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Did no one else notice the mention of ARM systems? ARM does not have a desktop PC as far as I know at the moment so this is either gonna be something mobile like a tablet/laptop or even perhaps a phone like device. If it is a desktop/console system it will most likely have to be a windows 8 based system in order for it to be compatible with their library of games. I know phones and tablets have along pretty fast lately, to the point that they may start rivaling the ps3 and 360 in what may be a year, so this may not be a bda choice since they are great at power and heat management.

I know in another article that they were also working on developing some new biometric feedback as well. So I guess their box will give you more feedback than the rumble feature that came out on the N64, which is nice. I know that is something that has been lacking in PC gaming, since your mouse and keyboard gives zero feedback. Perhaps texture feedback? I know a company developed this a year or two ago and was suppousedly going to be on the PS Vita, but that was a no go.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
wth? another console? we don't need more shitty consoles, I mean, COMMON! just keep making games, better games, no consoles plx, some one just blow up wii xbox ps! We don't need them, all we need is PC and portable consoles... nothing else!

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I think Toms needs to go Rupert Murdoch on this story. I am really interested in this development.

I think it would be great if they use Nvidia's ARM chips, they can use Android as the OS. Look at what developers have done with Asus Prime.

In a sence, that is the way I think they want to go. Google created Android as this open platform, however they make money on the market and advertisement.

Valve can make an open gaming platform, but because they pretty much will set the roadmap, they will make millions in transaction fees from the Steam Store.

And if there is a "Amazon" out there wanting to compete in Valve's platform, that only makes the platform more popular... a win win for Valve.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
as long as they using pc parts (x86,AMD/nvidia gpu), and custom OS for gaming, then go for it. i see this pc console may lighten pc gaming to live again, and may provide a healthy ecosystem for the highend pc (performance may standarizes but still scalable to highend, we get more diverse gaming accessories, developer get more experience in optimizations, etc).

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Sounds like Valve filled the last of Microsoft's quota of volunteers. (JK)

Windows 8 is the 1st thing that comes to mind when I saw ARM / X86 System Design in the recommended section for the job posting.

I hope my mind is just messing with me tho..... who knows what it's going to be, could be an authenticator for your steam account for all we know. (and that would be a great option for people who have a TON of games and are paranoid about having their account stolen/hacked/etc.)

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Here's an interesting blog post from the Valve employee that started this project. He talks a bit about what they're going to do with this and Valve's working structure. It's an interesting read:
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/valve-how-i-got-here-what-its-like-and-what-im-doing-2/

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Yeah and for all the MS fanboys on this site, it's with Apple. Go Open GL/CL. MS and their proprietary Direct X can kiss my arse.Rumor: Valve and Apple Working on an Apple Gaming Console?www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403056,00.asp[/citation]
And how about all those amazing 2 year old games your barely running on your dualcore macbook you paid $1300 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.