Valve Launches Limited Access Beta of Steam for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Biggest challenge here is still the lack of DirectX, though OpenGL solves the Graphics API, you're still left without the audio part, which DirectX integrates along with Graphics API as well.

volvavite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Biggest challenge here is still the lack of DirectX, though OpenGL solves the Graphics API, you're still left without the audio part, which DirectX integrates along with Graphics API as well.[/citation]
Really? You do know Steam supports OpenAL, right?

fenixkane

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Biggest challenge here is still the lack of DirectX, though OpenGL solves the Graphics API, you're still left without the audio part, which DirectX integrates along with Graphics API as well.[/citation]

We have OpenAL for audio, SDL for input and windowing.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
For me games are the only reason to use Windows at home.
I hope it will get somewhere with Valve pushing it. After all, they sell their engine to a number of game developer studios.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Yes obviously that is a problem for... wait the article says 2 dozen games are already available. And how do all those Mac users play games? How do Android and iOS users play games without DirectX??

Yes DirectX is a bit of a hurdle, but obviously not an overly onerous one.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
*Yawn* Don't want.

Sorry Gabe but I just don't have my hate on for Windows 8 like you do. Grats to the Linux folks though. More games for gamers is always a good thing.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The major hurdle that will be present is the sheer number of distros for Linux. Game developers tried a few years ago porting popular titles to Linux and discovered that while they may work well on one distro, that was no guarantee they would work well with other distros. Support costs were so much that many of these games stopped being sold for Linux after a few months.

The fact that they are releasing the client only for Ubuntu and may release Steam for other distros is a clear indicator that support among different distros is still an issue.

volvavite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]The major hurdle that will be present is the sheer number of distros for Linux.[/citation]
Steam supports Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10 officially. However, users are free to install in on what ever flavor they want. Valve isn't blocking that.
Since Ubuntu is the most used distro and the easiest to use and configure, I believe what you point out is a non-issue.
The Linux community will figure out a way to run Stem wherever they want. For example, Arch Linux already repackaged it in record time: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/steam/

While Ubunto is by far the most common / easiest desktop solution to use I hope they release packages that are RHEL compliant for those Distro's that are based on RH. CentOS is my current favorite, and I'd love to be able to actually play games on it.

Now for game manufacturers to settle on a single set of standards implementations on Linux. SDL / OpenGL / OpenAL and such. Then those standards need to back port support for older driver API's that may not be supported like ALSA / OSS / Pulse and such. Once the nightmare of tangled HW / SW standards gets sorted then it'll be awesome.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Oh crap, I need to get another HD and set up a dual boot with Ubuntu on my Win 7-64 gaming rig, thanks Newegg. Long live Linux

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]If steam goes full linux support I see myself changing from win7 to Ubuntu[/citation]
Agree but will still keep 7 for some games I like unless they all get ported. as for old legacy PC games (Baldur's Gate and such) I use XP on a bootcamp partition on my Mini Mac.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
This will last for a year before it dies out. The only way this thing will have any wings at all is if Valve makes a custom gaming distro. . . and even then good luck getting those developers to spend time and money on the O/S with

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Agree but will still keep 7 for some games I like unless they all get ported. as for old legacy PC games (Baldur's Gate and such) I use XP on a bootcamp partition on my Mini Mac.[/citation]
Legacy games run well in Wine.

knott00

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]This is a great move on Valves part, with all this negative closed closed platform windows 8 news going around.[/citation]
How is Windows 8 closed? Steam still works perfectly fine in Windows 8. MS just introduced their own store that could compete in some small part with Steam and Valve just flipped crap.

Windows 8 is not closed, Valve is just being anti-competitive. If any other company displayed anti-competitive behavior like this, people would be up in arms over it. Instead, people are applauding Valve for flipping out over Windows 8 having its own software store.

dragonsbane

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
People forget the fact that Steam is not a game engine, so porting it to Linux does not translate into games available on Linux (I know some Valve games will be available). Developers will need to code for Linux and I don't see they doing that cause costs dictates these decisions, as always. The handful of Mac Games available on Steam is a good example that confirms this theory.

dragonsbane

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]phate[/nom]Gabe just announced Half Life 3 will be Linux exclusive.http://p4r.buzzleberry.com/?p=357Still skeptical until another source confirms, but if true that's just awesome.edit: Further digging definitely makes this look like a hoax, sigh oh well.[/citation]
Almost 10 years in development (if it is in development, I have my doubts) and you think they will release it as an exclusive.... for Linux? Lol man.

Status
Not open for further replies.