Valve May Be Crafting a Way to Play Windows Steam Games on Linux

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Again when they have the same market control as Microsoft it can easily change.

I know of one Linux distro, actually two, that can show it. Android and iOS. Both are Linux based kernals. Both are run by companies that figure in the bottom line before the consumer. Both are companies that once used to be hailed as consumer champions. Apple is worth a ton more than a consumer champion company should be worth.

It may never happen. But at the same time I don't ever see Linux overtaking the mainstream consumer PC market or PC gaming market.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Well, you yourself said it: There's real competition in the Linux Space. There's not in the Windows space. And that's what can and in allot of cases does make a difference.
It's why Valve keeps trying (largely unsuccessfully) to explore Linux platforms or games, as a hedge against getting squeezed out by the Windows App store.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Both iOS and MacOS are based on BSD, not linux. With BSD it is not only possible, but entirely likely, that it will be abused in the way Apple has abused it and that's because of its license which isn't copy left like the GPL.

Android has its own special brand of manipulating consumers that Google pretty ingeniously put together. Since they can't stop Linux alternatives to their OS they built killer apps and restricted them to being installed by default by approved OEM's. These Apps that consumers and OEM's have inextricably tied their systems to are what keeps people beholden to Google on smartphones.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

I'm trying to think a single instance of a BSD variance that's not a total win and I cannot...Barracuda Commercial security appliances, MacOS, FreeNAS...they're all winners great in my book, and allot more focused on providing a quality product then leveraging my privacy, especially compared to other platforms.

MacOS and iOs are both based on a Mach kernel and use both GNU and BSD code - mixed in with their proprietary stacks. But they ARE UNIX-like - and as such, do not require much effort to support Linux software either.

As for my assumption that Steam would use whatever wrapper was most convenient, I've been validated: Photon is a Wine fork (a mix'n'match of Wine-devel and extra projects like dxvk etc.) developed in partnership with Codeweavers (the "owners" of Wine).
I've tried it: after enabling the Steam client beta channel I moved my Doom install from Steam/wine over to Steam/Linux - I got most of my settings and all my savegames restored, and performance (using Vulkan) was great. I use the latest stable Mesa build on a reference RX480 8Gb (with extra cooling) and the game was smooth as butter in 1440p and Ultra settings (except for a few effects, like per-objet motion blur, that I don't care about, and v-sync which is pretty much useless considering my screen can't go past 60fps - and the game is consistently over 80). I'll soon try an unsupported game (probably Sleeping Dogs) to see what gives.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

hmmm. My only experience with Wine was in it's very early and primitive state WELL over a decade ago, when I installed the FreeBSD port for. It was really more of a novelty then...one which might be able to run very simple Windows programs without major driver dependencies.

Sounds like it must be pretty robust now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS