Valve May Bring Steam to Mobile Platforms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Steam DRM is the best DRM to date, and it is a good one, pro gamers. I very much like this one, so no expecting any more changes or very strict DRM. I am 99% comfortable with steam, the 1% goes for unable to pick an installation folder for the games download.

And finally, with steams low price on sales, i can get my very own legit copies!! this is a good way to reduce piracy!!! trust me.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]Linux first. God damn.[/citation]

Yeah someone else said that.. same response.. why not make it for something people actually use. I mean really what a waste of time to make something for thousands when you can make something for millions.

G

Steam is DRM i can get behind and support. Ive had zero issues so far. Even when i my net connection has gone down ive still be able to play games fine as well.

Steam is exactly what i want in a game service. It always has great deals, can just download whatever you want rather then having to drive to a store. The DRM doesn't hassle you in any way shape or form. ETC.

The only complaint ive had so far, is i bought one game through it that had securerom, as im boycotting games that use securerom, i was a lil annoyed when i saw the thing pop up when i installed it.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]Steam DRM is the best DRM to date, and it is a good one, pro gamers. I very much like this one, so no expecting any more changes or very strict DRM. I am 99% comfortable with steam, the 1% goes for unable to pick an installation folder for the games download.And finally, with steams low price on sales, i can get my very own legit copies!! this is a good way to reduce piracy!!! trust me.[/citation]

I agree that when the DRM is simply Steam its a DRM that is by all means acceptable. However sadly the DRM doesn't just stop there on quite a few titles. While this certainly isn't Valve's fault it unfortunately eliminates one of the positive reasons to buy on Steam.

I also do feel the frustration of not being able to choose install paths.
Even more so when some titles are desired to be run off a SSD when Steam is installed onto a normal Sata HD. Buying a SSD just for Steam is unreasonable as simply counting just my installed games I would be spending well over $500. This limitation is certainly a pain in the rear end.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I absolutely love steam and am thankful for it, I remember when it first came out and you had to have steam installed in order to play CS I hated it but ever since I started buying games on steam it's amazing, I never had to put a cd in a drive ever, I don't have to find no cd cracks if there are other games that I own that do require the cd to be put in in order to play.

I just purchased the new Medal oh Honor for 15$ and downloaded it at 3.5mbps and had it installed really fast, you can't beat that. I have been trying to use windows live marketplace for gaming or whatever it is to buy digital copies of games that steam doesn't sale and it is horrible.

Of course steam isn't going to be perfect for anyone but there will always be people who are way too bias to admit something this epic is good.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Steam as a distribution system on mobile platforms .... great ... steam as a game developer for mobile platforms .... less than exciting.

Now if they'd just improve their search engine in steam, they've got a winner.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[insert Rant about release of next half life game, steam on linux and valve spreading themselves too thin]

TBH steam need sto be on mobile platform. Its the best thing for their indie developers. ARM Cpu's aren't far off early source engine games level of performance.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Yeah someone else said that.. same response.. why not make it for something people actually use. I mean really what a waste of time to make something for thousands when you can make something for millions.[/citation]
You do realize that Linux is a major underlying OS for most mobile devices right? Of course there are different variants, but most trace back to Unix/Linux roots. So yes, Linux is a viable OS depending on what application you're speaking of - in this case, mobile devices.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]So I did contact Steam support. First reply was the stupid copy paste response on how to start up a game even though I specifically wrote in the message that I don't want to do that, I need the CD-key. I explained to read my first post and so on...posts went back and forth. In short, due to Steam's error I got the option of...get a refund or buy BC2, again, but on Steam (and I guess get a new account going so I have to juggle sign between the two account when I change between original and Vietnam - since i already have a "soldier" that I had ranked up a lot). [/citation]

Steam made a mistake in advertising their product, you were affected by this mistake and they offered you a refund. What happens when you purchase a game from walmart that doesn't work? You get to exchange the defective game for the same game, gamestop same thing there, Steam you get your money back. Seeing as how Steam went above what other retailers will do when you get a defective game what more would have soothed you.... $10 bucks, a free game, a blow job perhaps? You should have taken the refund, bought a new copy of the game from a retailer who would provide you with a key, and play until your heart's content. Instead you screwed yourself out of $50-60, got on here and showed us the sand you got in your VJ.

I deleted this from the opening because I thought "he doesn't deserve it", but the more I think about it the more I feel you do. You may be an idiot. I would suggest seeking medical council before attempting to use electronics or operate heavy machinery. There is just no reason in the world to expect a company to do more then offer your money back, if they had come back and said sorry you need to purchase BC2 or get lost, then yeah be mad, but they offered your money back and that is way beyond what any other software outlet would have done.

/rant

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]You do realize that Linux is a major underlying OS for most mobile devices right? Of course there are different variants, but most trace back to Unix/Linux roots. So yes, Linux is a viable OS depending on what application you're speaking of - in this case, mobile devices.[/citation]

Yeah cuz android and ubuntu can do all the same things as they are now. You know windows mobile 6.5 shared a lot of things with windows for the desktop but i don't remember being able to load my programs on it. don't give me and apples orange comparison. While mobiles phones might be relevant to games since well they are actually used linux isn't IMO. Last time i checked i couldn't install programs i have on my ubuntu on an android phone that i have owned either. Just because something is based on something doesn't mean it is that thing.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]don't give me and apples orange comparison[/citation]
Just doing the same thing your post did. I specifically mentioned the many flavors of Linux out there, and how it has different uses in certain places. No, Ubuntu is not Android, and IOS is not OSX, but you bashed Linux as an entity as in the entire OS was useless - which it is far from that in reality. They may handle things differently, but the code is there. The bottom line is that when a game is not tied to DirectX - it has a VERY good opportunity at being cross-platform compatible. Most of what it take here is OpenGL/CL coding (which mobile devices do in addition to Flash only) for a game and you've just created an easily ported app (as opposed to what the closed-up DirectX offers developers).

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
No i didn't bash linux as an os for being useless. I bashed its none user base in gaming (by none user base I'm comparing users vs cell phone users) as being useless to spend time on valve for it. Linux is good for what tis good for. I hate DX but fact is its better then opengl now. I miss the opengl days where we didn't have to cut 30 frames just for using dx but till the open source people lock down opengl more and let it grow its what it is.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The way I see it, this would basically be a Steam app store with some additional functionality. That sounds great to me; hopefully they'd keep doing to twice yearly sales.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
HA! We gamers have been so conditioned to accept drm that some consider Steam to be good drm! Does anyone remember when people thought that Steam was created by the devil? No, you're probably too young to remember. Steam hasn't changed, it's just that other companies use even worse drm. Here are my thoughts about drm.

DRM is really a turd. Some forms of drm force feed it to you. Steam covers it up with whip cream and a cherry. But no martter what, you're still eating a turd.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]HA! We gamers have been so conditioned to accept drm that some consider Steam to be good drm! Does anyone remember when people thought that Steam was created by the devil? No, you're probably too young to remember. Steam hasn't changed, it's just that other companies use even worse drm. Here are my thoughts about drm. DRM is really a turd. Some forms of drm force feed it to you. Steam covers it up with whip cream and a cherry. But no martter what, you're still eating a turd.[/citation]

The problem with steam when it came out (yes i beta tested it) was how buggy and super unstable it was. Getting mods to work with it was a pain. DRM in steam means having to have well a internet connection to play internet games making sure your install is only used once per account. Instead of having to use a cd key on install and have the cd in tray to play online games. Thats pretty much as far as most steam drm goes. And i don't know about you but most of us praised steam when it came out other then it being a total unworkable piece of crap at first. but after that was worked out i heard no one ever say it was the devil. Not sure what steam you were using. I rather download and have the game i paid for authenticated by my account then have to keep track of keys and cd's every time i want to play something. Which steam does perfectly. Now that they added cloud save games and (i think settings) its just one step better. Less crap i have to make sure i backup when i load a new computer or reload mine if i ever do. Since i can play all my games off line with no hassle what so ever still with no need for a cd or key your post makes no real sense at all. Who were these people living under rocks that are "old enough" to remember when steam came out that called it the devil. I never met one.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'll bet some of you people are the ones that are "angry" at Google and iFruit for "tracking" you without your permission, and then not even encrypting that data.

I guess you don't want to know what Requiring to have to install Steam to even sign up for an account puts on your PC.

Ahhhh...the sheeeple.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
steam in the mobile environment (as a platform/client) would be awesome. To have access to your downloaded games anywhere you go (providing that the games arent too intense for the phone) would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.