Valve Now Allowing Banned Players Access to Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndiancobra

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I think it is a reasonable thing to do. You purchased a license for the game and should be given access to it. However, I think most gamers these days are only interested in the online multiplayer. The bottom line is that online multiplayer cheating is rampant and the vast majority of those steam bans were deserved.

zeppelin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
hoofhearted: this is not a VAC (valve anti cheating) ban they're talking about. This is the type of ban Valve used to institute on people who did something like a chargeback on their credit card. Essentially, they would disable people's accounts.

zeppelin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This is me making an assumption - I did not read the thread on the forums. The thing is - Valve had never banned people from playing the games they were banned from - just their multiplayer component. This usually would go 'per-engine'. So if you got banned in Counter-Strike: Source, you would not be able to play DoD: Source, and probably TF2 (even though it uses a way newer version of the engine), but you could play on non-VAC servers, as well as a single player Source game like HL2.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]ndiancobra[/nom]I think it is a reasonable thing to do. You purchased a license for the game and should be given access to it. However, I think most gamers these days are only interested in the online multiplayer. The bottom line is that online multiplayer cheating is rampant and the vast majority of those steam bans were deserved.[/citation]

You have not seen statistics then. Huge majority of the gamers are single player with only occasional multiplayer experience.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]zeppelin101[/nom]This is me making an assumption - I did not read the thread on the forums. The thing is - Valve had never banned people from playing the games they were banned from - just their multiplayer component. This usually would go 'per-engine'. So if you got banned in Counter-Strike: Source, you would not be able to play DoD: Source, and probably TF2 (even though it uses a way newer version of the engine), but you could play on non-VAC servers, as well as a single player Source game like HL2.[/citation]Yeah that's how I think it goes, at least for accounts banned due to cheating.

Maybe this policy change is related to other kinds of bans, such as those caused by fraudulent payment, sharing/buying/selling accounts, using the account for phishing, etc...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Why not just ban them from multiplayer (assuming they were banned for cheating)?[/citation]
This.

The whole point is to stop people from cheating. Why restrict their access to single player games? It must be more complicated than we think.

zeppelin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]This.The whole point is to stop people from cheating. Why restrict their access to single player games? It must be more complicated than we think.[/citation]

Ehh, it's not always fraudulent. I don't know all the specifics, but there have been times when something unforeseen happens regarding payment and people's accounts have been disabled - with no recourse for appeal.

Allowing the banned players in multiplayer will eventually turn off many people to the games and they just won't buy them any longer. This is the only response the non-cheating non-banned player has in their bag of tricks.

Stop buying/using Valve products and let the cheaters have at it.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
This article is lacking one serious piece of info; what type of banning are they talking about? I'll assume it's banning for fraudulent practices as it wouldn't make sense to loose access to your games for cheating in mp.

But really, this article was not written right.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Should have been this way from the start. Unless you were stealing or doing other fraudulent things, having your whole account disabled and losing access to all the games you bought was extremely harsh. (not talking about VAC bans, if you cheat, then you shouldnt have any access to multi-player)

I cant believe Im saying this, but something positive came about from Origin implementing this several months back.

WOLF359

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ndiancobra[/nom]I think it is a reasonable thing to do. You purchased a license for the game and should be given access to it. However, I think most gamers these days are only interested in the online multiplayer. The bottom line is that online multiplayer cheating is rampant and the vast majority of those steam bans were deserved.[/citation]
lol, like a penal colony?

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Why not just ban them from multiplayer (assuming they were banned for cheating)?[/citation]

Good question, to be blunt. Frankly, I believe there should be two sets of servers: one where cheating is allowed specifically and one where it is specifically banned.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]You have not seen statistics then. Huge majority of the gamers are single player with only occasional multiplayer experience.[/citation]

Yeah - MP types are really just a vocal minority.

G

See what happens when you "rent" your games? You have to rely on some other company to play your games. You gave up certain rights when you opted for convienance. Quit complaining now.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]bobs your uncle[/nom]See what happens when you "rent" your games? You have to rely on some other company to play your games. You gave up certain rights when you opted for convienance. Quit complaining now.[/citation]

Rent? No, BOUGHT! The law is very clear on this subject. I'm betting Valve did this because they were told that they were open to lawsuits.

Banning people from playing online multiplayer is fine. Banning people because you 'don't like their CD key' and think it is stolen is not, most times those people are innocents who have been taken in by an unscrupulous retailer.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
You guys are on the wrong topic. This isn't about Multiplayer bans for cheating, it's about STEAM bans for things like trolling or messing with their servers.

lmn8r_16

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Accounts are only disabled for fraud, such as credit card fraud (stolen CC's, chargebacks) or steam account hacking. It was wrong from the get go because lots of people had their accounts hijacked/stolen and eventually disabled, no fault of their own. The recourse for this was hit-and-miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.