Valve Now Taking Pre-Orders for Counter-Strike: GO

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who never played the original Counter Strike games, what is the appeal of the game? Just online multiplayer? How does it rank in comparison to some of the better games out there (ArmA II, BF3)?

I guess I just don't know what differentiates CS from other online FPS games.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
No interest for me. I know its a further dumbed down CS from CSS. I stick with CS 1.6. This has Consoled UI along with stupid console features. *vomits*

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I think the original attraction was that it was free, simple, and the first game to bring FPS competition to reality. There where others but because they cost money not everyone got on the bandwagon. Since CS was free, everyone who heard of it decided to at least give it a try and becuase it was a decent game, many people continued to play it.

As for comparison to BF3, there is none. At least with the CS and CS source. CS is good because it is for people who want to quickly go into a match and shoot. BF3 is a whole new ballgame since you have tanks, cars, boats, planes, helicopters, etc that you have to utilize as well. The modern warefare multiplayer games where sucessful because they used a similar model to CS. BF3 also recognized the simple approach and has recently released a close quarters update that is similar to CS and MW style gaming.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Previously Valve planned for cross-platform multiplayer gameplay between the PS3, Mac OS X and Windows platforms, but the studio limited the feature to the non-console platforms

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.... I wanted to stomp some console kiddies.

inerax

Distinguished
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]As someone who never played the original Counter Strike games, what is the appeal of the game? Just online multiplayer? How does it rank in comparison to some of the better games out there (ArmA II, BF3)?I guess I just don't know what differentiates CS from other online FPS games.[/citation]

Counter strike took the world with competitive play. Its not about INSANE graphics or kill streaks.

Counter strike is fun because its SUPER simple. You can make it more complex by adding in team strats.

Worth the $.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]As someone who never played the original Counter Strike games, what is the appeal of the game? Just online multiplayer? How does it rank in comparison to some of the better games out there (ArmA II, BF3)?I guess I just don't know what differentiates CS from other online FPS games.[/citation]

You die, you don't respawn until the end of the round. There is no running and gunning here. You peek out of cover in sustained fire, you're dead. Unlike BF or COD, you don't look for a hardcore server to get that extra challenge - you're on hardcore from the start. 1 Life, 1 round, and the overzealous need for being able to detect the slightest footstep.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
What's the point of CS: GO when you already have CS and CSS? I thought the whole appeal to CS: GO was the cross-platform play. Is the graphics really that revamped from CSS?

crysex

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The control of CS feels extremely responsive and authentic. The game is fast and hardcore. Skills and strategies are highly important in this game.

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's too bad that there isn't going to be cross-platform playability. However, I guess the really reason Valve updated CS is so that it hopefully will be established as the gold standard for competitive FPS again.

Oh and for anyone who hasn't or doesn't understand why CS is so popular, it's because you just haven't played it yet.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006

Kinda hard to put in words to some degree. CS is just one of those games like WoW and nowadays Call of Duty that just got it right, at the right time. It was a free mod based on the Half-life engine. It's graphics were low-end enough that you could play it on just about anything. It just had a cool play-style too it. And has it grew in popularity, it became a game that proved to be highly competitive, even with all it's faults and glitches.

Even CSS didn't fully capture what made CS great and is probably why CS shows more people playing it on-line than CSS. Pretty strong evidence that pretty graphics, Achevements, and all those other things aren't the only thing that makes a game great.

If anyone wanted to know why they removed crossplatform, its because the game will be constantly updated and the PSN and Xbox Live updates would probably be more picky with the updates.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]What's the point of CS: GO when you already have CS and CSS? I thought the whole appeal to CS: GO was the cross-platform play. Is the graphics really that revamped from CSS?[/citation]
The orginal point of CS:GO was to combine the best parts of every version (recoils from 1.5, hit boxes from 1.6 and graphics from css). Ive been in the beta since april and it still has some problems but supposidly they have a huge update coming before/for launch that should fix most if not all of the current problems. Although Im not really sure why valve is giving a weeks worth of beta for preordering instead of just releasing the game a week earlier...

inerax

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]If anyone wanted to know why they removed crossplatform, its because the game will be constantly updated and the PSN and Xbox Live updates would probably be more picky with the updates.[/citation]

thats what they say... but if you look back in the past and cross platform play was bad.

not because of updates or anything else but because PC gamers would DESTROY the console gamers.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]inerax[/nom]thats what they say... but if you look back in the past and cross platform play was bad.not because of updates or anything else but because PC gamers would DESTROY the console gamers.[/citation]

That and consoles have a different update process, lots of red tape.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]After what battlefield 3 and diablo 3, i am not trusting any developers anymore, not even valve.[/citation]
Ya valve is sooooo much like EA and Activision its not even funny. /Sarcasm

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The whole idea to me seems so blah. I mean I quit playing CS years ago because it got old and boring so why the hell would I want to play a new one? For newish graphics? Nope. Whats the point of all this rehashing and not taking any risks? People who love the old one will play the old one and they WILL bitch about cs go "oh its not the same etc "The Im old and a veteran" attitude some people display and don't want any change is lame. JUST PLAY THE OLD SHIT. There's far too much rehashing and recycling these days.

I wanted Valve to do what Valve does best, INNOVATE, like they did with TF2. Bring something new to the table. It seems like they were just too afraid to mess with CS for fear of whiners whining about it.

inerax

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]The whole idea to me seems so blah. I mean I quit playing CS years ago because it got old and boring so why the hell would I want to play a new one? For newish graphics? Nope. Whats the point of all this rehashing and not taking any risks? People who love the old one will play the old one and they WILL bitch about cs go "oh its not the same etc "The Im old and a veteran" attitude some people display and don't want any change is lame. JUST PLAY THE OLD SHIT. There's far too much rehashing and recycling these days. I wanted Valve to do what Valve does best, INNOVATE, like they did with TF2. Bring something new to the table. It seems like they were just too afraid to mess with CS for fear of whiners whining about it.[/citation]

Valve wanted it to be like 1.6. they want to bring 5v5 team play back to where it was.

I have been in CS:GO beta for some time now. It was different than 1.6. Then Valve had the "Pros" tell them what needs to happen... Sure enough it feels like 1.6 again

Out ranks them all due to a constant flow of new freely distributed community created maps. A continually improving game engine over time keeps competition alive and up to date graphics wise. The games you list are some of the better quick to die games. BF4 is already announced so cs go is a much better bang for the buck. Finding thousands of servers filled with players is easy in CSS so its always good competition.

I think the new cs:go engine allows for 4 times the detail of css so its going to be good.

Feedmemoarfood

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
CS 15 bucks. BF3 60. BF3 premium services...50 ish I think. Same with CoD. If the game is only average at least its not breaking the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS