Valve on 13 Things At Which They Have Failed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I love Valve, their games are just so good. It's even better that they are not arrogant and they can admit their mistakes so they can improve and give the customer even better service.

Go Valve!!!

I think another thing valve severely lack in is some creativity and originality and depth to their games, especially with certain minor details that can make the games far more interesting, would be a lot better say in left 4 dead if the zombies were actually zombies and when running at you would stumble and even fall down at time, even taking a horde behind them down as they fall over eachother, and running around corners at speed loosing their footing and falling.

another thing is the overhyping of features that are non existant such as in left 4 dead 2 with their supposedly having the maps change with each time you play with different routes etc never happened yet was hyped to the end as a game changing experience.

they need to get their shit together.

aznplayer213

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ValvesuxBAD[/nom]That is why I think everyone will throw codmw2 in the trash when black-ops comes out with dedicated servers. At least we can police it ourselves since valve cant and doesn't want to stop it. They don't want to stop hacking because people get mad at hackers and then go get hacks themselves. then valve bans both the hacker and upset player and they get to sell 2 new games instead of one. Money making scam!![/citation]

1. You can go back to source for dedicated servers.
2. Cod is a big money making machine on the 360 so why not try it on the pc.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
So... I still don't get why they didn't release an update whether it was through xbox live or not. OK, so, it was a rule... an update is still an update whether they have direct access to there stuff or not. Everybody else is playing ball. They get fouled, so they just quit? What am I missing here?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The only thing I can really think of Valve failing at is not releasing or even announcing a new Half Life. AAAAAHHHH, buit theyve realeased so many awesome games... I will play TF2 til I die...

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]aznplayer213[/nom]1. You can go back to source for dedicated servers.2. Cod is a big money making machine on the 360 so why not try it on the pc.[/citation]

1. Cod became popular thanks to PC users.
2. Cod became popular thanks to PC users.

So,"why not try it on the pc" makes no sense to me at all when it was not seen on consoles till CoD3.

Basically the PC community got crapped on when it was us who made the game popular enough to be sold on consoles. I'm all for game developers making money etc. But they should have at least left the PC community the option of having dedicated servers.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
VALVe is a great company and this just shows that they know they're not perfect and theres always room for improvment. Love the honesty, keep up the good work.

Realizing thier flaws is the first step twards finding solutions.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Valve Time, definitely as it has taken years instead of months to get out Half Life 2 Episode 3. Plus, not keeping us informed on when it might actually come out. Has been driving a lot of us to giving up on you Valve.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]vicsrealms[/nom]Valve Time, definitely as it has taken years instead of months to get out Half Life 2 Episode 3. Plus, not keeping us informed on when it might actually come out. Has been driving a lot of us to giving up on you Valve.[/citation]
I would have been happier if they put a random timer on their site with Hl2Ep3 on top and just made us think they had a clue when it would be released.

partytime

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]jrnyfan[/nom]It's cute when console gamers complain about updates. It's like the new guy at work who suddenly is complaining about benefits when he had great benefits for years at another job that he voluntarily quit.Just because y'all are new to the interwebz on your consoles and they are boxes that are designed to do one thing (play games) and are being asked to do another (imitate pc's) doesn't make you more legit. It just makes your whining all the more comical.A console that is designed for playing games and nothing else (NES, SNES, PS2 etc) doesn't have those issues. When you start qq'ing because your little money pit can't do the latest and greatest things that's your fault for investing in a static device that is being turned dynamic by software and not hardware made for that change.[/citation]

+1

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cliffro[/nom]You can backup offline, Ive done it every time I've upgraded or fresh installed. It requires another HDD or some DVD's.[/citation]
Or, even better, install Steam to a secondary hard drive
If you reinstall Windows then all your local stored content is safe as houses

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Valve failed from their very beginning. They failed to deliver a proper ending for the great game Half-life. 2/3rds of it were great but the XEN world sucked so much that until this day I still have nightmares about it.Valve failed to deliver a proper sequel to Half-life. Sorry guys, in my opinion Half-life 2 sucked so badly I felt like puking form the beginning to the end but I hoped and kept playing. I hoped that at some point they'll deliver the great experience of the first 2/3 of the original game but no it never happened.etc... XD I've put Valve in my black list right there next to Monotlith who delivered the sucky Blood II... and how much I loved Blood 1.[/citation]
I suppose you cant please everyone
Most people think the storyline is epic, but by all means you are within your rights to say you hated it
Incidentally, you think you could write a better script?

ragequit

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Valve/Steam = Free games (Alien Swarm) Open Source...CS Series, HL series, dedicated servers, and Steam if FREE. No monthly/yearly fee like xbox live, no BS. Ohh, and every holiday they offer crazy prices for great games.
Valve is the best (private) gaming company in a swarm of shitty companies (Public). They have my vote 3x over. Here is more on whey they rock.

[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Some of them anyway. They are definitely more down to earth than most, but there are still many issues they haven't ever really talked about.Left 4 Dead, for example. They've praised themselves on shipping Left 4 Dead 2 so fast, but never talked much about the complaints on support, and the fact that there's still a ton of bugs and glitches in it that aren't getting fixed.Bravo for what they HAVE done, which is definitely far better than most other companies. But perfect they're not.[/citation]

I think thats the point. Most companies (heres lookin at you EA) wont admit their mistakes and will push to release one or two patches and then a new game with the only real fix in it (Crysis didn't get the patch for a better engine that Warhead did).

At least in L4D VALVe is still assesing it to fix whaat they can. Problem is that every time you close one hole, another opens and with the combination of PC hardware out there, its impossible to make it perfect for all of them especially when they don't control the drivers.

But I am proud of VALVe. They are willing to admit they have made mistakes even though they are the closest to perfect out there.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I didn't know they'd made elite games? Steam works great, sure. But please .. halflife, portal and whatever else they've made ... it's just mediocre games. Got orange box among other things, because I hoped tf2 would be as good as the original mod. Sadly the video ads were much better than the game. It's just a lame cs thing with more standardized players.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]I think another thing valve severely lack in is some creativity and originality and depth to their games, especially with certain minor details that can make the games far more interesting, would be a lot better say in left 4 dead if the zombies were actually zombies and when running at you would stumble and even fall down at time, even taking a horde behind them down as they fall over eachother, and running around corners at speed loosing their footing and falling.another thing is the overhyping of features that are non existant such as in left 4 dead 2 with their supposedly having the maps change with each time you play with different routes etc never happened yet was hyped to the end as a game changing experience.they need to get their shit together.[/citation]

Try getting a few friends in a game and outwardly explore the levels. There is almost ALWAYS a secondary path that sweeps around the main path. The first level of no mercy you could go into a small truck lot then through a warehouse to get to the subway. Almost noone EVER goes that route because it's longer. Everyone wants to speed game through the levels. Another example? Oh how's about L4D2? Swamp fever has a LOT of secondary paths that either require you to wade through waste deep water for a shorter route, or go the long way and be able to keep your feet dry. (Thank you Versus for removing the shoulder deep water slowing you down at all, now everyone just speed games, again...)

Now as for Common infected stumbling that'd just take too much to make that a random event, it'd end up being scripted or something so it could reliably occur. Also one falls, then you get the domino thing and what was once a FRIGGIN HORDE is now just a few zombies that were on the sides of the one zombie that forgot to tie his shoes. It takes from the suspense.

If they wanna change up L4D series they need to either make the hordes HUGE (100 or so zombies that will overwhelm you so get the hell out of there) or ration ammo out to the point that you cant honestly waste ammo on just every zombie. (And nerf the HELL out of the CQ weapons. Ninja-ing a tank is just retarded in L4D2, and I'm hoenstly sick of how underpowered the Special infected are.)

Now as for one of the failures Valve had being not supporting the console community. I honestly have to side with people saying Valve has jsut dragged their feet on this. They -could- do the weapons updates (forget hats, just takes up extra space) and maybe a few maps more. But the restrictions they have to fight the 4gb game size limit. seriously? I have a 120gb hdd! People don't own 50 games that they play every day. If anything there's 5 you play often.

As for Sony that was purely because Valve didn't liek having to rewrite the games to run GL just for sony.

However Valve does need to get on things a little more. I do wanna see Ep3 but I'll wait. I remember this time, ages ago it seemed. You waited 5 years for a game to come out, and it was good. Those days were called the 90s. Those were times before companies like EA turned into something that was viable to invest in. And then lost their souls because they had to come out with a new game that would appeal to the masses so they could get those all to important profits.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]wishmaster12[/nom]they need to allow backup on games with out the net. that what they need[/citation]

Just backup your steamapps folder. Is that what you meant?

Sinsation Station

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Its obvious that Valve recognise their errors because they are on the search to become even better than what they already are.

Valve definitely is one of the tops of the Video Games industry, and we can see why is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS