News Valve Posts Official Steam Deck FAQ: Supports MicroSD Booting, Remote Play for PC

I'm kinda hoping that Steam will release Steam OS to install on PCs.
They already did that close to 8 years ago as they were preparing to launch the Steam Machine ecosystem. I don't think they have the new version of SteamOS found on the Steam Deck available for download yet, but an older version of SteamOS is still available at their site...

Of course, the Steam Machine program kind of flopped, and SteamOS never really took off (along with Linux gaming machines in general). I suppose the compatibility situation might be better this time around though, so perhaps the Steam Deck might fare better than their prior abandoned hardware ecosystems. And if the Steam Deck manages to do reasonably well and receives continued support, perhaps SteamOS might become a more viable option for gaming systems.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
They already did that close to 8 years ago as they were preparing to launch the Steam Machine ecosystem. I don't think they have the new version of SteamOS found on the Steam Deck available for download yet, but an older version of SteamOS is still available at their site...

Of course, the Steam Machine program kind of flopped, and SteamOS never really took off (along with Linux gaming machines in general). I suppose the compatibility situation might be better this time around though, so perhaps the Steam Deck might fare better than their prior abandoned hardware ecosystems. And if the Steam Deck manages to do reasonably well and receives continued support, perhaps SteamOS might become a more viable option for gaming systems.
yea, I remember that. A big reason I never got into Linux was because a lot of my computer use is about gaming. Some web browsing and media, etc, but not enough to go through the trouble of a dual boot system for that and Windows for gaming. Steam has been saying that they want the SteamDeck to have access to the full Steam library though. That's what got me interested. Being able to play any and all my Steam games without the BS of M$. And since it's mostly built off of a Linux kernal (I think, don't quote me, I haven't really done any research, I was waiting until the final product) then I think the majority of drivers should be good.