Valve Reveals Portal 2 Pre-Order Info, Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]wfrantz[/nom]careful those PC specs seem a little steep.[/citation]
10 years ago I might of not been able to play this game, thank god its the future now... anywho.
I am excited about this game, and hopefully it will be super challenging just like Portal: Prelude when it first came out

squanto

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Portal 2 and Mass Effect 3, two titles that will live up to the hype. Valve does not mess around, game looks beautiful but sound like it runs beautifully too

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
careful those PC specs seem a little steep.

I seriously hope you are joking. Dual core CPU, 2gig of RAM for Vista or higher? Radeon X800 or nVidia 7600 or higher? Those cards are like 4+ years old.

At almost 8GB of HDD space, that might throw some people, but go look up how much space your BFBC2 or COD:MW...or even Supreme Commander games take up.

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
There's no difference between the Mac and Windows steam clients when activating a dual platform Valve product with a retail key. If you have a Mac and want to pre order through a brick & mortar or online retailer, the PC version will work for either.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]I seriously hope you are joking. Dual core CPU, 2gig of RAM for Vista or higher? Radeon X800 or nVidia 7600 or higher? Those cards are like 4+ years old.At almost 8GB of HDD space, that might throw some people, but go look up how much space your BFBC2 or COD:MW...or even Supreme Commander games take up.[/citation]

It's sarcasm dude. The damn specs are the exact same ones as Left 4 Dead 2. I really hate it when people like you take these kinds of jokes as an opportunity to insult people's intelligence. Either that or you legitimately took his post seriously, which is also sad.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Does that really say Intel HD 2000 or higher? They must be counting on the CPU to make up a lot for the lack of GPU horsepower. The 2000 is well below the discrete GPU min.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]I seriously hope you are joking. Dual core CPU, 2gig of RAM for Vista or higher? Radeon X800 or nVidia 7600 or higher? Those cards are like 4+ years old..[/citation]

Someone'e sarcasm meter definitely needs to be fixed...

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This game better be amazing. Portal 1 was part of the Orange Box and that was $50 and now Portal 2 is $50 by itself? This better be 10 times longer.

Also the system specs are the same as the recommended specs of Portal 1. The sad thing is I have a pc sitting with a AMD Athlon and 7600gt that could play this.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]This game better be amazing. Portal 1 was part of the Orange Box and that was $50 and now Portal 2 is $50 by itself? This better be 10 times longer.Also the system specs are the same as the recommended specs of Portal 1. The sad thing is I have a pc sitting with a AMD Athlon and 7600gt that could play this.[/citation]
Valve has said that Portal 2 will be a 'full game', so I would expect content/playtime to be around that of a 'full game' like Half-Life 2.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Its still based on current source engine....not new HL3 engine.

Consoles just continue holding up gaming graphics progress.

I might grab it for Christmas for $5 or somethin...

ace_tate

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Just preordered the ps3 version from gamestop after reading this. Supposed to come with the steam version for free. Yeah, it better be way longer of a game for 55 bux!

[citation][nom]quovatis[/nom]oh boy. Steam is offering Portal 1 for free when you buy Portal 2, even though Portal 1 has been free for months...[/citation]

since when is $14.99 considered free? cause thats how much it is on stream

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]since when is $14.99 considered free? cause thats how much it is on stream[/citation]

if you own any videocard by nvidia, even a geforce 2 or lower, you get a free copy of portal 1 most of the levels
http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/

I will be getting portal 2 when they have a sale for it.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom] ... I will be getting portal 2 when they have a sale for it.[/citation]
Agreed, that's the best part of Steam. I'll just wait til it drops to 30$ or lower. I don't need to play it the day it'll come out. I've got plenty of games I got off steam for pennies on the dollar to keep me entertained until then.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]sdedalus83[/nom]There's no difference between the Mac and Windows steam clients when activating a dual platform Valve product with a retail key. If you have a Mac and want to pre order through a brick & mortar or online retailer, the PC version will work for either.[/citation]
Good point! To say it a little differently, you can purchase the "PC-only versions" from brick and mortar places, and play it on the Mac. You'll have to register the game onto Steam in order to play it, and then it'll work on both Mac + PC.

Only difference is that perhaps you will not be able to install the game on a Mac from the disc with a retail copy. You'll have to download it through Steam. In that sense, yes Valve is the only retailer offering the Mac platform.

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]since when is $14.99 considered free? cause thats how much it is on stream[/citation]

They gave it away free for like 2 months. That's probably what he was referring to.

[citation][nom]wfrantz[/nom]careful those PC specs seem a little steep.[/citation]

Compared to Half Life 2, probably. But still it has a nice wide range, the Pentium 4 is quite old and the X800/7600 is pretty much 6 gens behind. So if you have a dual core with a HD4K/8800GTX you will probably be able to max it out at 30FPS. I know I will with my Q6600 and HD5870. I will own Portal 2.

On a side note, I pre-ordered it. Can't freakin wait.

As for the skins, I can't wait till its out and the SDK is updated so modders can create awesome content for it. I imagine a sking of Gordon Freeman and the GMan.....

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]newbie_mcnoob[/nom]woohoo! DirectX 9! Thanks consoles from 5 years ago.[/citation]
Nothing to do with consoles. If anything it might have to do with Mac. Valve is still using the old-ass Source engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.